Most future proof, socket 1156 or 1366?

Hi, I've only got a little question, which socket do you think will be more useful for future upgradings? From what I've been reading around the 1156 socket will mainly be used for the new 2-core cpu with no new 4-core cpu, while the 1366 will end up with 6-core cpu or maybe even greater, this should mean than in 3-4 years the socket 1366 will still be somehow useful with its latest cpu while the 1156 will become obsolete unless new 4-core cpu are created.

What do you think?
4 answers Last reply
More about most future proof socket 1156 1366
  1. With the information currently at my disposal I opted to go with the socket 1366 design on my last two builds because I would like to be able to take advantage of the six core CPU's without having to get all new hardware.
  2. The general consensus is that 1366 will be much more upgradeable in the future. The 1156 platform may be somewhat short-lived, though it's impossible to state that as a fact.
  3. i think the opposite. given that LGA1156 a;ready has a bunch of new procesors on the way (more than 1366) id imagine it will be more futureproof.

im sure the ultra high-end server grade stuff will remain 1366 exclusive, but everything below will likely be on 1156, as this is the mainstream (and therfore main) platform.

i just dont see how 1366 could out live 1156, given the already massive number of processors on the way.
  4. But you have to take into account that in 4-5 years 4-core cpu will surely be the mainstream cpu and 2-core cpu will be like todays pentium cpu, it and the 1156 at least till now only offers 3 4-core cpu and the rest will be 2-core cpu.
    You can argue that the 2-core cpu they're going to create will work greatly but they're still 2-core cpu and will never be able to live to the full potential of 4-core cpu.

P.D:I was going to get an i750 but when I saw the little chances of future upgrading this socket had i opted for an i920.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Core Socket