New Gaming System having wierd problems

jetsamrover

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the right place for these problems, but I just built my first homebuilt system yesterday so i think this is right.
i7 920
Diamond Ati 5850
asrock x58 extreme
G-skill trident 3 x 2GB DDR3 2000
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 pci
2x Samsung Spinpoint 750GB
Raidmax hybrid-2 630w psu
Encore 802.11n PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter
Temporarily using windows 7 32 RC until I get the full 64.

I am having a few wierd problems. One is a tan screen of death. I have only gotten it twice while browsing with firefox, the screen goes completely tan and the computer becomes totally unresponsive leaving only a hard restart.

The other problem is that I cannot set up a raid 0 array with the hdds in windows 7. I read that you just need to set raid in bios and windows will recognize it and already have the drivers during the installation, but it only recognizes them as two separate drives. I tried loading the driver off a usb stick, but that didn't change anything.

I've only had time to play one game on it so far: fallout 3, and that experiences occasional crashes, but I think that's an issue with the game.

I have run a windows memory diagnostic and it came out fine.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Raidmax PSU's are junk. The little red voltage switch on the back of your PSU is a dead giveaway that it's an older model with no active PFC. I wouldn't be surprised if your problems are caused by voltage fluctuations from that POS.

Did you manually set your RAM speed/timings/voltage to 2000MHz with 9-9-9-24 timings at 1.6v in the BIOS? I don't really trust the Windows memory diagnostic. I would use Memtest86+. Memtest is good at finding faulty RAM, but not great at detecting incorrect RAM settings. You should manually set your RAM settings before running Memtest.

Thats a good point. I should have mentioned it also but got distracted by my foxfire rant.