92mm case fan suggestions

Tags:
  • Cases
  • Fan
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 10, 2010 1:24:11 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to replace the fan in my XPS 420 with a quieter one.

I was wondering what specs are best to focus on when shopping around?

RPM
Airflow
or
noise level?

The fan I have now is a Delta EFC0912BF. It has a noise level of 46 dbA. (and it sounds like an air conditioner!). What range would you consider to be quiet, while still having good airflow?

PS: I know dell uses a proprietary 5pin connector, but I can use a molex instead? I upgraded my PSU, so I have plenty!

Thanks

More about : 92mm case fan suggestions

January 10, 2010 11:16:04 AM

I would invest in a 5.25 slot fan controller. Newegg has a thermaltake for $12.99 plus shipping. Just do a search using their software. Fan controller, fan rpm adjuster, etc. I use a max of 2500 rpm for all my fans; my ps runs at 900, and cpu fan around 1400 using the hardware monitoring bios settings.
m
l

Best solution

January 10, 2010 11:27:21 AM

You could use a molex fan, thing is, when you disconnect the Dell fan you will get a fan failure message every time you try to boot the machine.
I don't have a comparable Dell sitting here to test anything, but it should be possible to change the wiring configuration of a standard 92 mm PWM fan to match the Dell fan. I've done the opposite, reconfigured Dell fan wiring to work on standard board.
Related resources
January 10, 2010 3:25:43 PM

thanks guys for all of the suggestions. I actually ordered a fan from Oxide, so it should be here soon. Delluser1, yeah I already found out about the failure message on boot, no biggie though, I can deal with pressing F1 at bootup.

o1die: Thanks, I will look into the fan controller. Newegg is my 2nd home! LOL!
m
l
January 17, 2010 4:03:34 PM

OXIDE fan installed.. New fan is whisper quiet! Thanks to everyone for all of the advice.
m
l
July 2, 2010 6:02:30 PM

webguy0822 said:
OXIDE fan installed.. New fan is whisper quiet! Thanks to everyone for all of the advice.

hi there. Did you managed to get round the fan reboot failure message?
Thanks
m
l
!