Cheap 5850 on sale @ dell.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Dell Home has the VisionTek Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card for $280 - 10% off code = $252 (or $244 w/ DPA) with free shipping. Next lowest on Google Products is $295 shipped. Thanks TheEerieCold

If paying with Dell Preferred Account (DPA) you may save an extra 3% here is how:

1. During checkout, select Credit Card as method of payment
2. Click "Change Payment Type"
3. Click "Choose" link under Credit/Debit Card (again)
4. Under "Save 3% with Dell Preferred Account! (Discount applied at Final Checkout)" click "Click Here to Take Advantage of this Offer" link
5. Click "Choose" under "I already have a Dell Preferred Account" if you have one, or sign up for a new one if you don't
6. Checkout, enjoy your 3% savings

www.slickdeals.net

Also Dell tends to make the cards have different specs - using slower memory or core speeds etc. so just be sure you are getting what you think you are getting !!

Notice on there Specs page ( http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Gaming_Video_Cards/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A3198515 ) that they make no mention of the Mhz rating of the DDR5 Ram or the core clock speeds - I'd want to see something in writing about what they are before buying as I've seen them sell other video card models that are cut way down performance wise to lower their production costs and still try to sell them for the top $ - So buyer beware !!

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

Agree. Marked down cards are usually worth what they cost and not a penny more. What initially appears to be a good deal often become disappointment when your read the fine print, oh DDR 2 instead 3? or oh, it's only a 90 day or one year warranty?

So yeah, it's a deal now but for who? The buyer or the seller?

:pfff:
That's only the case with the oem card's that they use in thier systems, not the retail cards that they sell.

Well as a Dell User you might know but - I wouldn't buy a product from a company that I know has been known to do that type of thing even if it is only on their OEM parts as there is nothing to stop them from reboxing\selling those OEM parts and thier business practices so far have not led me to believe they are not capable of doing such !

If you look at their track record of using propeitery layouts for their cases - switching of wiring coonfigs on their MOBOs\PSUs so that you are required to use their specific parts instead of third party sources, using cut down parts and listing them under the same name as the full version - etc. etc. I wouldn't trust anything from them without seeing the exact specifications in writing before buying !!!

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

Dumbest crap I have ever heard.... Keep your BS out of my threads.

Well, no longer a Dell user ( except for my laptop every now and then )
The BBB is there to stop them from reboxing oem parts and selling them as retail parts ( loosen the tin foil hat )
It's also time to step into this decade, Dell has slowly stopped using proprietary parts in many of thier systems, to the point where a couple are 100% upgradeable with anything you could buy from Newegg.
PS, the mobo/psu wiring that you speak of ended with introduction of the Pentium 4.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
I'm just guessing Dell bought a bunch of these and didn't get the orders they were expecting so they're dumping (maybe at cost?) because they know the GPU retail cycle and these cards will be at $250 or less anyway in a few months. There will be "revision 2" 5850s with higher clocks and 2 Gigs of video RAM.

I appreciate Werxen for sharing the news of the discount and I'm sure some gamers out there are jumping on the deal. If I didn't already have an SLI board and one GTX 260 (thinking of a second GTX 260) I'd be tempted too.

real world

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
I thought all these cards were physically the same anyway? I've read that AMD expressly demanded that they remain that way. So Dell couldn't screw with the cards at all if that's the case. An ASUS card has the same physical build as a Sapphire, or XFX. Is this correct?