Ubuntu Internet and movies build

st8ofmi9d

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-3 Weeks
BUDGET RANGE: $700-1000 After Rebates
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Surf the internet, watching movies (hulu, divx, MythTV), remote to work (HOBLink JWT java client), rare and minor 1080p AVHCD video edits
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: mouse, OS
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: makes little difference but I use newegg.com a lot
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA
PARTS PREFERENCES: 24" LCD 1920x1200
OVERCLOCKING: Maybe
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Don't think so
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I primarily use Ubuntu but will dual boot to XP and eventually windows 7. I prefer a smallish and quieter computer. I'm most interested in "bang for the buck" but I would consider an SSD for OS and applications (80GB) and an external HD connected to my router for media storage if it would result in a noticeable performance boost.

Thank you!

st8ofmi9d

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Thank you for the reply!

I'm going to skip the SSD and just get a fast drive. Any thoughts on that? I don't have any huge storage needs so something that is the most "bang for the buck" would be where I would land. Speed and quite are more important than amount of storage.

Assuming that I spend a good deal less by staying away from the SSD, would it make sense to get a faster processor? if so, what would be the next one or two steps up?

If I eventually went to a second monitor would I need to add a graphics card or can the on-board handle two screens?