Has this ever happened to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I purchased a Antec Quattro 1000W PSU today from a big box store. I got it half price since they are on ad and I know and trust Antec products. Well that was a mistake. I drive 20 miles to get the thing, plunk down my cash, drive home, unhook my nice and tidy wiring and replace my Thermaltake 500W PSU that is about 2 years old and put this bad boy in. I get it all cabled out the way I like and go to turn the machine on and... nothing. Nada. I think "maybe I have a loose wire or something." and check everything out. Nope, we're all good with wiring. And I unplug the unit for a few moments and plug it back in.

It KINDA tries to start but won't Post. For whatever reason, this thing is dead as can be. So I think "Hey, maybe the connectors are loose or something, lets try jumping a ground wire with a paperclip and see what happens." Did that, and the PSU came to life. Unfortunately doing that didn't help me boot at all. It was just one of those times where a product is DOA out of the box. So I suck it up, pack it up, and take another 20 mile (each way) drive to return this turd.

I get my money back with no questions asked, I come home and put my old reliable Thermaltake back in (not bothering to do cable management since at this point I am going to go with a Corsair 650 or 750 when I get some funds together and crossfire a pair of 4890's (I already have one, and they are the same price as the 5770's). ) But something is wrong! Oh noes! It isn't booting fully into windows.

I start to get a little panicky thinking the Antec PSU had fried something. No, it wouldn't even POST (when I had in the Antec PSU), how could anything be fried? Well apparently I did SOMETHING because the only way my machine was gonna boot properly was in safe mode. Then I rolled back the system to this morning and it is working fine now.

Could someone tell me how the hell changing a PSU could have caused this? In 10 years of IT work and countless builds, I must admit I am scratching my head on this one! But I did, however, learn a lesson. Check the newegg reviews on a product even if your getting it locally. Apparently these 1000W Antec PSU's have a lousy record and die after a year. I have a pretty sour taste in my mouth re: antec now. And when I purchased a 550W PSU (TruePower (new version) lineup) it wouldn't load on my Intel CPU but did work on my AMD. Huh?!?

Also second lesson learned! Check to make sure the new PSU is working before ripping out the old! It'll save some headaches!

Solution

And when I purchased a 550W PSU (TruePower (new version) lineup) it wouldn't load on my Intel CPU

Also second lesson learned! Check to make sure the new PSU is working before ripping out the old! It'll save some headaches!
No, sounds strange, but I've never had to use a 1k unit.
I've tried the TPN 550 and 750 in several Intel systems with no problems.
Definitely easier to test the psu outside the box first.

rav3n

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I have heard of something like this happening. Apparently the psu powered on the hard drives just long enough for them to start to read data and then the psu died which caused the hdd's to corrupt data (they were in raid0)

And when I purchased a 550W PSU (TruePower (new version) lineup) it wouldn't load on my Intel CPU

No, sounds strange, but I've never had to use a 1k unit.
I've tried the TPN 550 and 750 in several Intel systems with no problems.
Definitely easier to test the psu outside the box first.

Solution
G

So my leading theory (and confirmed by Event Viewer) was that night before last I installed some software that triggered M$ to update the computers OS (Zune software... yes I have an iPod, a iPod Touch, and a Zune. Spoiled.) and it was supposed to restart. Well I hit the postpone button and then the next day, before the install could finalize with the reboot, I had replaced the PSU. Since it KINDA started booting up after I had tinkered with it I see that the Install got corrupted because the PSU died during the middle of it. So that explains why I was able to roll back.

Just took a few minutes to figure out, once I got my brain working this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.