Quick Hardware question.

nathanlaw

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
Hey y'all!

I built a computer about a year back and have just started running into a lil problem with the machine... Periodically, every minute or two, my mouse freezes up and stutters. I have two operating systems installed and it has been happening on both of them so I'm pretty sure it is a hardware problem. The operating systems are on two different hard drives, which makes me rule out my hard drive but just to be sure I downloaded a seagate drive check utility and my operating system hard drives passed all the tests. Anyways I think I ruled it down to the RAM or motherboard and was wondering if anyone has had any similar problems to this or a simple "sounds like it could be a ram thing" I'm really stuck on this so thanks for any help.

-Law

nathanlaw

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
Ha well that was embarrassing, it seems like it was just the mouse. I guess I should have figured seeing as that was the only thing lagging.

Good news is I don't have to go taking apart my computer piece by piece to figure out what is wrong... bad news is that I bought a Logitech G7 wireless mouse for about 60 bucks and that thing only lasted about a year. It comes with two swappable rechargeable batteries so who knows what is really wrong with it :( I wonder if the wireless frequency is getting messed up with my new wireless card I just installed....?. Anyways thanks for the quick responses and help.

nathanlaw

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
well this will probably apply to one other person on the forum but I figured out that the problem was with the new wireless card i installed in my computer. It is a dual band wireless N router which I'm pretty sure runs at a 5ghz frequency which I'm guessing the logitech mouse also uses (its a radio wireless mouse) I unplugged it and all the problems went away.... maybe i'll try wrapping some tin foil on the bottom of the desk to block the radio waves from the wireless router getting to the mouse, ha... I can only imagine my grandma figuring something like this out