Sign in with
Your question

Purchasing new rig, question on HD setup.

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2011 2:50:34 PM

Hey guys,

I haven't built a computer in a few years and with SSDs out now and reasonably priced I'm definitly getting my hands on one. :)  Just have a few questions on setup!

I'll do some research in to what HD I should get when I actually start purchasing but until that point, what is the best setup?

Is it better to just get a single larger SSD and just use that as I would a normal drive or is it smarter to get a say 60GB SSD, install the OS on it and all apps + games than re-route all files/folders/apps that do extensive writing like photoshop and games that do weekly updates to a second hard drive or is it even worth it to go through all of that trouble anymore?

What do the pros recommend in todays hard drive era? :D 

Edit : These are the two HD's I'm looking at as a pair or individual, what do you think of them? Better options?

1. OCZ Agility 3 120 GB - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=61051&vpn=AGT3-25SAT3-120G&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology&promoid=1371
  2. WD Black 500GB - http://ncix.com/products/?sku=57432&vpn=WD5002AALX&manufacture=Western%20Digital%20WD

Regards,
September 9, 2011 4:04:38 PM

Use SSD for Windows/Application, if you want backup your files, use old way with a big HDD.
September 9, 2011 6:42:52 PM

So I should only put like backup files on the secondary? What about programs that do a lot of writing and re-writing?
Related resources
September 10, 2011 3:24:10 PM

Bump, still need an answer to this. :/ 
a c 105 G Storage
September 10, 2011 3:40:02 PM

I use the 120 GB SSD (Vertex 3 or Crucual M4) with the Barracuda XT 2 TB. I set them up so that I can boot to either the SSD or the HD with duplicate OS installs ( C partition on SSD appears as X:\ on SSD boot)

Boot time on SSD = 15.6 seconds
Boot time on HD = 21.2 seconds.

MMORPG Load = 45 seconds on both

Idea is put stuff that benefits from faster I/O on the SSD but in practice, the differences are oft less than we'd expect.
a b G Storage
September 10, 2011 3:40:30 PM

disposition96 said:
So I should only put like backup files on the secondary? What about programs that do a lot of writing and re-writing?

SSD

You may also dump 3rd party utilities and other 'less' intensive programs on the HDD. Do a Disk Cleanup on the SDD every few weeks to clear out temp files, Internet cache, shadow file copies, old restore points, etc.

I really don't see the need for an 120GB SSD --- 60GB should be fine unless you intend to put a LOT of games on it. My OS and apps (a bunch of 'em) barely take up 30GB.

Replace your 'My Documents' folder with a shortcut to a directory on your HDD, too, and verify your programs save to it.

September 10, 2011 5:32:42 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
I use the 120 GB SSD (Vertex 3 or Crucual M4) with the Barracuda XT 2 TB. I set them up so that I can boot to either the SSD or the HD with duplicate OS installs ( C partition on SSD appears as X:\ on SSD boot)

Boot time on SSD = 15.6 seconds
Boot time on HD = 21.2 seconds.

MMORPG Load = 45 seconds on both

Idea is put stuff that benefits from faster I/O on the SSD but in practice, the differences are oft less than we'd expect.

I'm looking for performance and that Seagate drive is not in the mid range of the performing side of things for a mechanical drive... 2TB is just to much space to get performance out of a single drive.

Which version of the Vertex 3 do you have?

Which OS are you running?

I think I will drop my SSD size for performance to Corsair Force 60GB & go with a 1tb spinpoin.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=EN...
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

Both have amazing performance and from everything I'm readying / comparing will give me the best bang for my buck.
September 12, 2011 9:52:56 PM

Bump, just wanting to make sure these two hard drives will work well with eachother. :) 
!