Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to install operating system in a external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2011 3:16:40 PM

tell me the process to install any os in a external hard disk
September 9, 2011 3:50:26 PM

i want to say if its a usb external, you jaust have to enable booting from usb in bios, and when you install, depending on what os's (and order that you do them) it should write where its located to the boot files and work out.

NOTE: this all theory i drummed up in 3 min, might not work.
m
l
September 9, 2011 4:27:01 PM

i need to install os in external hdd not to install os from hdd........... so help me out
m
l
Related resources
a c 371 G Storage
September 9, 2011 4:46:01 PM

Which OS? I don't think windows can be installed/booted from an external drive.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 9, 2011 5:25:58 PM

It might be possible using eSATA, but I doubt it's possible with USB or Firewire; it is also a very bad idea.

First: USB is slow (USB 3.0 might be OK, but still much slower than native SATA).
Second: Windows installs some drivers DURING installation, moving the drive to another PC after could therefore make the whole thing crash or make the installation a drive mess that will slow the thing even further.
Third: An OEM license, what most people have, is tied to the motherboard, moving the drive would therefore invalidate the license.

If you need an OS to diagnose problems, use a Linux LiveCD or some "Ultimate boot CD"; if you need a transportable working environment, I suggest you use VMWare or any other VM tool.
September 9, 2011 6:05:12 PM

you use usb external hd then turn on the usb boot option in bios of your system then connect the external hd . Then turn on the external hd as primary boot device in boot device settings in bios . Then restart the pc and install the os .
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
September 9, 2011 6:18:47 PM

It is my understanding that windows initializes the USB ports when it loads it's USB drivers. When this occurs, the USB ports get reset at which point the loading of the OS will be halted. It would be like pulling the plug in the middle of the boot process.

If I'm wrong, someone please jump in. I'm always willing to learn something new.
m
l
September 19, 2011 2:16:15 AM

Zenthar said:
It might be possible using eSATA, but I doubt it's possible with USB or Firewire; it is also a very bad idea.

First: USB is slow (USB 3.0 might be OK, but still much slower than native SATA).
Second: Windows installs some drivers DURING installation, moving the drive to another PC after could therefore make the whole thing crash or make the installation a drive mess that will slow the thing even further.
Third: An OEM license, what most people have, is tied to the motherboard, moving the drive would therefore invalidate the license.

If you need an OS to diagnose problems, use a Linux LiveCD or some "Ultimate boot CD"; if you need a transportable working environment, I suggest you use VMWare or any other VM tool.

thanks a lot. dude i do agree we cant install any OS in external drive as it will b violation of EULA also the motherboard stuff nd all. but why cant we install some open source operating system? waiting for ur reply .
m
l
September 19, 2011 2:18:07 AM

Best answer selected by kunal222.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 19, 2011 2:24:15 AM

kunal222 said:
thanks a lot. dude i do agree we cant install any OS in external drive as it will b violation of EULA also the motherboard stuff nd all. but why cant we install some open source operating system? waiting for ur reply .
Actually, there must be a way to do that for Linux, but I wouldn't know exactly how. You can have Linux LiveCD/DVD on pendrives so I don't see why you couldn't have them on USB HDDs as well. Might want to as very advances Linux users for advices, if not on this forum, on a specialized Linux forum.
m
l
November 18, 2013 7:54:32 PM

This site has everything you need to setup a Linux bootable flash drive and there are quite a few options that you can choose for an OS. There is a section at the bottom with all of the OS options for Windows.
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
m
l
March 20, 2014 10:22:32 AM

kunal222 said:
tell me the process to install any os in a external hard disk

m
l
!