I7 2600K temperature spread, should i redo paste?

adam1712

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
Hi Guys,

This is my first build and first OC, its been running stable for a good few months now but i have only really just looked properly into my temps (I did check at first but once i knew i wasnt exceeding 65C i was happy)
Heres the relevent info...

4.2GhZ @ ~1.25V (1.25 is the maximum, i am using offset mode on the voltage, so it changes a bit but never exceeds 1.25)
Cooler is a Zalmann CNPS 9900MAX Blue

Temps obviously vary but my maximum is 62C-63C if its a hot day (for the 'package' as HWMonitor calls it which always seems to be the highest temp)

What is worrying me is this...

Core#0 - 53C
Core#1 - 58C
Core#2 - 55C
Core#3 - 61C
Package - 62C

I understand that some spread in temps is expected but 8 degrees is surely a bit extreme, 9 degrees if you go off the package temp?!

When i applied my thermal paste(the one that came with the cooler) i used the spread method with a credit card and i didnt think it looked all that great but when nothing caught fire i was happy to leave it since i didnt want to mess around removing my cooler/paste and re-installing but what do you guys think i should do? Is a spread like this normal or should my temps even be this high at such a 'mild' OC on this chip? When idle my voltage drops and i get temps around 30C on all cores but core#0 will drop to 29 and core#3 never drops below 33.

Thanks for any advice

I would. And I would also make sure my cables were routed inside the case to ensure unobstructed airflow through the case. You can get inexpensive nylon ties at the big-box hardware stores to hold your power and data cables away from the airflow.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010
The CPU to heatsink interface is critical with hot processors like the 2600K. There are innumerable tutorials on the internet already but here are the basics:
Start with an absolutely clean surface. Fingerprints are bad.
Use a quality paste. Arctic Silver 5 is almost universally regarded as ideal and it's really not very expensive.
Use the least amount possible to get a smooth, uninterrupted layer on the CPU. All you're trying to do is fill any microscopic voids between the surfaces.

If you weren't happy with the job you did, you probably messed it up. What will work fine on a lesser CPU just won't cut it for a 2600K.