Infinite boot loop after forced shutdown

robman12

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I'm not sure what would cause this but last night I was playing TF2 and the game froze connecting to a server. I tried to get out of it without shutting it down but no good, So I held the power button down for 5 seconds and it shut down. I pressed it again to start up and it began the infamous infinite boot loop (turns on fans, spins, and then shuts down nothing on screen appears) :cry: I could not stop it by hitting the power button so I hit the switch on the PSU to stop it. Then I turned the PSU switch back to the on position and pushed the power button again and the computer booted normally. I'm not sure what I did that would make this happen. Up until this point I had never done a force shutdown because I never had too, I usually shut it down from windows. I just hope this is something I can fix because if it's the mobo (which I think is causing the issue) it's gonna be a pain in the ass to disconnect everything and wait for gigabyte's awful customer service to end up giving the same broken board back; claiming there's nothing wrong with it :pfff: I need some input here, this is my first build, so i'm still learning. i'll post my specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 3.0Ghz
2x1gb Kingston HyperX PC2-8500
Visiontek ATI Radeon 3870 OC'd edition
250Gb WD Caviar Blue
Gigabyte EP45-UD3L (rev 1.1)
Antec Basiq BP550 watt modular PSU

bilbat

Splendid
It is hard to say where, exactly, your problem came from. You might try reading the 'Boot Loops' section of the 'sticky; and, the BIOS - Saving CMOS section will make the 'recovery' process a lot easier! One suspicion - I have twice seen a web-initiated 'buffer-overrun' corrupt CMOS, whch can lead to 'boot looping'... I did this when I was having 'troubles' with a particular web-site, and turned off the 'no-execute bit' protection in the BIOS - turned out the web-site, itself, was trouble! I mention this as, for most AV software, there is a 'game mode' where the AV quits scanning traffic completely, in the behest of speed - and hackers know this - it's an excellent place to launch an 'exploit'!