Tivo and UPS

How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't
know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical computer but I'm not
sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly going away. It is a pain to
wait for the unit to power up and the buffer is lost along with the easter egg
tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100 TivoDVR???
19 answers Last reply
More about tivo

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:55:39 GMT, DanR wrote:

    > How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
    > failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't
    > know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical computer but I'm not
    > sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly going away. It is a pain to
    > wait for the unit to power up and the buffer is lost along with the easter egg
    > tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100 TivoDVR???

    I use a UPS on my Toshiba Tivo ... Paid $39 for an APC 350 UPS ... Great
    for the surge protection and to cover the momentary power blips that I get
    during storms. Tivo hardware is similar to a PC ... having a UPS is good.

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:55:39 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

    >How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
    >failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't
    >know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical computer but I'm not
    >sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly going away. It is a pain to
    >wait for the unit to power up and the buffer is lost along with the easter egg
    >tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100 TivoDVR???

    That $50 could potentially save the $100 tivo many many times though.
    Also, what else do you have plugged in near the tivo that could also
    benefit from the protection? I'm speaking more in terms of hardware
    damage as opposed to data loss.

    "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in

    > How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a
    > power failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a
    > UPS. I don't know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical
    > computer but I'm not sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly
    > going away. It is a pain to wait for the unit to power up and the buffer

    It's not so much the sudden going away as the sudden return. Think about
    how you take a shower. You turn on the water, adjust the temperature, THEN
    turn on the showerhead. Why? Because if you turned on the showerhead
    first then stood under it, you would get blasted with cold water at first.

    > is lost along with the easter egg tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100
    > TivoDVR???

    When you get right down to it, a UPS is basically an insurance policy.
    While some use it as a convenience (they don't want to wait for the startup
    process or lose the modifications), others use it as UPSes are designed to
    do...protect electronics. If you decide that "$50 to protect a $100" box
    is too expensive of a policy, that's your decision. If others decide that,
    regardless of the cost of the box, the time spent purchasing a new one,
    going through guided setup, losing all thumbs data, redoing all season
    passes and wishlists, not to mention doing without the device in the
    meantime justifies a UPS, then that's theirs.

    "Howard" <stile99@email.com> wrote in message
    > "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in
    >
    >> How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a
    >> power failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a
    >> UPS. I don't know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical
    >> computer but I'm not sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly
    >> going away. It is a pain to wait for the unit to power up and the buffer
    >
    > It's not so much the sudden going away as the sudden return.

    But the sudden returns after a few minutes are virtually harmless. It's the
    sudden power spikes and sudden losses and returns that occur with minnimal
    time inbetween that cause problems.

    > Think about
    > how you take a shower. You turn on the water, adjust the temperature,
    > THEN
    > turn on the showerhead. Why? Because if you turned on the showerhead
    > first then stood under it, you would get blasted with cold water at first.

    So what part of the Tivo needs adjusting/preparing before it gets plugged
    in?
    That's a REALLY REALLY BAD analogy.

    On 2005-08-13, DanR <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
    > How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
    > failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't
    > know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical computer but I'm not
    > sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly going away. It is a pain to
    > wait for the unit to power up and the buffer is lost along with the easter egg
    > tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100 TivoDVR???

    I use a UPS on my TiVos but not so much to protect them but to ensure they
    keep recording if the power goes out in the middle of my favorite show.

    --
    This is my .sig

    * DanR wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
    > How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo?

    I Do.

    > I just had a power
    > failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't
    > know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical computer but I'm not
    > sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly going away. It is a pain to
    > wait for the unit to power up and the buffer is lost along with the easter egg
    > tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100 TivoDVR???

    I have it for Show loss, not data loss :)

    --
    David
    Q: Are we not men?

    Once upon a time, DanR <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> said:
    >How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
    >failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't
    >know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical computer but I'm not
    >sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly going away. It is a pain to
    >wait for the unit to power up and the buffer is lost along with the easter egg
    >tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100 TivoDVR???

    I have used an UPS with my TiVos for years; not so much to protect the
    hardware (I used a surge protector previously) but to protect the
    recordings. I don't want to lose what is on my TiVo because I want to
    watch it. Also, I don't want my TiVo to stop recording for several
    minutes just because the power blinked for 2 seconds (which it does
    regularly around here during the thunderstorm season, from about March
    to November).
    --
    Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:55:39 +0000, DanR wrote:

    > How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
    > failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't
    > know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical computer but I'm not
    > sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly going away. It is a pain to
    > wait for the unit to power up and the buffer is lost along with the easter egg
    > tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100 TivoDVR???

    I've got a 650VA ups with the Tivo, RCA DRS7000N, VCR, and TV plugged into
    it, so it's protecting about $600 worth of stuff, but I really only have
    it so I don't lose recordings and I don't rhave to reset clocks,
    schedules, etc.

    DanR wrote:

    > How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
    > failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't
    > know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical computer but I'm not
    > sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly going away. It is a pain to
    > wait for the unit to power up and the buffer is lost along with the easter egg
    > tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100 TivoDVR???

    I have my TIVO and computer on a UPS. We get frequent power blinks that
    last less than a minute. Prevents gaps in recordings while it's
    rebooting. I got an inexpensive 5-minute UPS to ride those out. If we
    lose power for longer than that, oh well.

    --Charlene

    --
    CPR: An emergency exercise that helps concerned onlookers feel useful
    while the victim expires. -- Bayan, Rick; The Cynic's Dictionary, 2002

    email perronnelle at earthlink . net

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:55:39 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

    > How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo?

    I do. If you look around and wait for a bargain, you can get one more than
    capable of handling a TiVo (or even a TiVo and a cable/satellite receiver)
    for $20. It's well worth it.
    --
    "It is more uplifting to find the beauty, wonder, spirituality, and
    reverence in what we can see, than to imagine they only exist in what we

    Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I use a UPS on my TiVos but not so much to protect them but to ensure they
    >keep recording if the power goes out in the middle of my favorite show.

    Same here, but I also put my Denon receiver on it because it otherwise
    turns itself on after each of the frequent short power failures I have
    here.

    To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
    Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

    "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

    >How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
    >failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS.

    I have Tivo working through a cable box so both of those are on a UPS.
    After all, they both have to work to record anything and the cable box
    does not always power up after an outage. Since I've got a fairly
    expensive flat screen TV, I have it plugged in as well. I don't
    leave the TV on when I'm not home and if I'm home, the first thing I
    would do in a power failure is turn it off so it doesn't waste power.

    With one of the smaller APC units, the Tivo and cable box will last
    about 30-45 minutes before the batteries drain.

    DanR <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:
    > How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
    > failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't

    Huh, I was just reading this thread and... lost power to my house for 8
    seconds. Damn! Maybe I should get a UPS for it :-)

    TiVo rebooted cleanly enough. Interestingly a recording it was in the
    middle of eventually restarted recording as a second entry in the now
    playing list. Took about 10 minutes for it to restart the recording
    (first show stopped at 0:57 and second show started at 1:07). I hadn't
    realised TiVo would try and recover like that!

    --
    Stephen Harris
    usenet@spuddy.org

    Just beware of the "green screen" of NEAR death.........my DirecTV/DVR 3
    years ago experienced a series of brownouts (a revolving series of
    intermittent startups and shutoffs all in the space of 2 minutes).
    If your TiVo shuts off 'clean' for a few minutes and promptly
    restarts,no problem......but if it does this intermittent cascade
    brownout stuff,
    be careful.
    A green screen will come up telling you NOT to touch ANY controls as
    the unit will try and repair itself.It even admonishes you not to even
    put it on standby.Apparently it tries to reconstruct fragmented files
    and video from a source I do not know from where it gets it's data.
    This process took approximately SIX HOURS(!) to complete.
    I do not use a UPS currently,although I probably should.But if you
    have repeated and frequent power cycling problems (mine was from a one
    time upgrade of the electrical distribution grid in my area),a UPS would
    be a good thing to have to avoid the "green screen."
    Being without TV for 6 hours was excruciating........LOL.

    "Doug Warner" <dwarner22@ccharter.net> wrote in message
    > Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I use a UPS on my TiVos but not so much to protect them but to ensure they
    > >keep recording if the power goes out in the middle of my favorite show.
    >
    > Same here, but I also put my Denon receiver on it because it otherwise
    > turns itself on after each of the frequent short power failures I have
    > here.

    Yikes...I wouldn't do that...if that thing were to be active (making noise)
    while the power went out it could draw more power than most UPSs are able to
    provide. TVs, especially large CRT based ones, draw a ton of power too.

    I keep my Tivo and the cable box (well, sattelite at the moment) on a UPS.

    Ken

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 19:06:17 -0400, Jim <jim@none.no> wrote:

    >On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:55:39 GMT, DanR wrote:
    >
    >> How many of you folks use a UPS device with your Tivo? I just had a power
    >> failure because of a storm and so I'm wondering if I should get a UPS. I don't
    >> know if there is much danger of data lose like a typical computer but I'm not
    >> sure what damage may occur with the power suddenly going away. It is a pain to
    >> wait for the unit to power up and the buffer is lost along with the easter egg
    >> tweaks. $50 UPS to protect a $100 TivoDVR???
    >
    >I use a UPS on my Toshiba Tivo ... Paid $39 for an APC 350 UPS ... Great
    >for the surge protection and to cover the momentary power blips that I get
    >during storms. Tivo hardware is similar to a PC ... having a UPS is good.

    FWIW, APC sells refurb 350 ES's for $24.....

    -Barry

    Effective protectors have brand names such as Square D, Leviton,
    Polyphaser, Siemens, Intermatic, GE, and Cutler Hammer. Effective
    protectors have never been seen in Sears, Walmart, Staples, Radio
    Shack, Best Buy, Office Max, or Circuit City. Effective protectors are
    nothing more than a connection from the transient to protection.
    Protection is not a protector. Protection is earth ground. Therefore
    an effective protector makes a short ('less than 10 foot') connection
    to a building's single point earth ground.

    Obviously, plug-in protectors have no such earthing connection.
    However if manufacturer grossly undersizes the protector, and if that
    protector then fails during a first surge, then many consumers will
    foolishly recommend that protector and buy more. This is how
    ineffective protectors are routinely promoted by the naive. A surge
    too small to overwhelm protection already inside an appliance, instead,
    destroyed the overpriced and undersized protector. This to promote
    sales; not to provide effective protection.

    'Whole house' protectors are effective when they make the all so
    essential 'less than 10 foot' connection to earth ground. How to
    identify ineffective protectors: 1) no dedicated wire to make that
    'less than 10 foot' earthing connection, and 2) manufacturer avoids all
    discussion about earthing.

    No earth ground means no effective protection. Earthing - the single
    point earth ground - is protection. A protector is nothing more than a
    connection to protection. Plug-in UPSes forget to mention they don't
    even provide effective surge protection. They hope you never learn why
    earth ground is both critical and essential in a protection 'system'.

    Effective 'whole house' protectors are sold in Home Depot as
    Intermatic; and in Lowes as Cutler Hammer or GE products. If your home
    does not, at minimum, meet post 1990 NEC earthing requirements, then
    even 'whole house' protectors may not be effective. The effective
    protector is a connection to protection .... earth ground.

    "Barry" <babeckns@nszoominternet.net> wrote in message
    > Excellent! Would appreciate hearing your recommendations when you have
    > time to look into it. Thanks!

    Home Depot sells a small basic whole house surge protector for $47 that
    mounts to the breaker panel. When properly installed (which is easy if your
    house is already properly grounded) it does wonders. I barely lose light
    bulbs anymore.

Tivo Video Devices Home Theatre