Sign in with
Your question

I lost power during a file transfer, now I have a partial file that I can\'t del

Last response: in Storage
September 9, 2011 4:59:01 PM

I'm in San Diego and we had a massive power outage here yesterday. I was transferring files from my desktop to a wireless hard drive when the power went out and now I have a partial file on that hard drive that I can't delete. I can't delete the sub-directories it is in either. Well I actually can delete the file but it just returns as if it wasn't deleted. How do I get rid of it and the sub-directories it is in?

More about : lost power file transfer partial file del

a b G Storage
September 9, 2011 5:07:55 PM

Start by running a "chkdsk /f" command on the drive to repair any "damaged" file, after that you might be able to delete it.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 9, 2011 5:14:55 PM

There may be an unflushed buffer somewhere holding that file open. An orderly shutdown of the drive should clear that.
m
l
Related resources
September 9, 2011 5:27:50 PM

I'm not sure if I can run a chkdsk, it is a networked drive and it doesn't give me the option through conventional means. I can't pull up the drive "tools" on it.
m
l
September 9, 2011 5:28:21 PM

I tried rebooting a few times now...still the same.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 9, 2011 5:40:21 PM

Any tools came with the network drive for sanity checks?
m
l
September 9, 2011 5:49:56 PM

There doesn't seem to be any disk check tool with the provided software. Just instant backup utilities.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 9, 2011 6:23:14 PM

Hello,

Try using this : http://emcosoftware.com/move-on-boot

Basically once you install the program, you tell the program what you want deleted, and it should delete it on the next boot.

If that doesn't work, save all your files somewhere else besides your wireless hard drive, right click on your wireless drive letter it, format your drive (keep all defaults). This will definately clear it out for you.
m
l
September 9, 2011 6:27:39 PM

Boot Windows in safe mode and delete it like normal. That always works for me, but since its an external wireless drive, it may be different. I guess it couldn't hurt to give it a shot though.
m
l
!