Modular PSU Question?

enzoamata

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
If I was to buy a modular PSU does that mean it regulates according to what cables I have plugged into it, to make it run less power and therefore use less power consumption?

A power supply will only draw the amount of power it needs to power your system. The number of cables connected to a modular power supply depends on what you need, but won't change the power draw unless there's something connected to them.

enzoamata

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
So a modular PSU wont run quieter? What is it that will control the quietness of a PSU as I'm looking to get a new PSU for my E8400 build but keep things super quiet and still have the option to update my system to an Intel i5 or i7 in time.

All a modular PSU will do for you is reduce the number of unused cables inside you case.

If you want "quiet", you are going to need to look for PSU reviews that look at noise. Do not depend on advertising.

If you have friends with computers, check out what they are using. Case and case fans have a large effect on noise.

shovenose

Distinguished
look for an 80+ or other waise high efficiency psu. the more efficient a psu is, the less electricityis turned into heat, the less airflow ur psu needs. the quiter/slower the fan can be.

enzoamata

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

Im just about to order the CoolerMaster Silent Pro 600w - I don't know which good uk site to order from though as newegg don't deliver to the uk.

Any suggestions of reliable sites?

IF you are trying to build a quiet system then loook for either a passively cooled PSU - For example this is my PSU - http://www.velocityreviews.com/reviews/review47/guts-big.jpg - IT has passive cooling by way of the copper heat pipes and the fan only runs when the PSU temp exceeds a certain TEMP - which it doesn't usually even hit so the fan is not running under normal usage but will run if under stress like full gaming. Not sure where you can buy passive cooling PSU's nowadays (I bought this one a few years ago when Frye's had them discounted since they were no longer going to carry them !) Or get one that has dual fans or larger size fans - by having 2 fans or a larger fan they can run at lower speeds while still moving the needed air to keep things cool which produces less noise !

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Enzoamata, a normal PSU has a ton of wires that come out of a giant hole in it, the wires you need are used and the wires you dont need are just there to annoy you and for you to hide or place somwhere in your case. A modular PSU is the exact same thing except the wires can be unplugged, the wires you need, you plug inside and the ones you dont need, you unplug and stash them somewhere. The benefit of this is for better cable managment and neater/tidy looking case. Thats the difference between an equivalant normal and modular PSU, nothing else differs. And a power supply only uses as much energy as it requires, if you have 500watts worth of hardware plugged into a 900watt PSU, the PSU is still only going to use around 500watts or however much your hardware needs at the moment. If you want a quiet PSU, read reviews of other people and what they say.

enzoamata

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm starting to get a better idea of what I'm needing the only thing leaving me wondering is the amount of power I am in fact using within my machine...

I'm wanting to get the right power supply for if I decide to upgrade to an Intel i5 or i7 in time. I'm currently running an Intel E8400.

The right PSU will depend more on the rest of the system than the CPU since the video card is usually the highest power usage we would need to know the rest of the system specs to give you suggestions (like How much RAM, how many HDD's, type of CPU, GPU, cooling fans, USB devices that will be powered by the system, whether you plan to OC and how much of an OC, etc.) to get an idea of the total wattage you will need.

No it won't. Nor is it likely to reduce the number of connected cables as most quality PSU's are hybrid modular meaning they hardwire all the necessary cables (IOW, ones you must use) and the "optional" cables are modular. If you want a quality PSU that is quiet, start at the Editpor's Choice list here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

The Antec SG-650 tops the list in the 600 watt range but look also at the Enermax Modu82+ 625W and Seasonic X-650

The Seasonic X-650 is an 80+ Gold certified PSU that only runs its fan under heavy load. There's a review of it at www.jonnyguru.com.

If I didn't already have a SG-650, that's the one I'd want because I go for efficiency. The SG-650 is also extremely quiet; the fan runs all the time, but often at a very low speed. My system doesn't stress it much, and I don't ever hear it over my other fans (AC Freezer 7 is loudest; may replace it soon for that reason).

Twuntcat

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
Have a look at Tagan PSU's.

I have had mine 2 year, it has been faultless, even when i upgraded to i7.

High Quality, Quiet and Good Value I think.

It was recommended to me, and I couldnt be happier with it.

I would definitely buy another one when the time comes, they make some very nice PSU that would be an improvement on mine.

enzoamata

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I've just ordered a Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 600W - it seemed to get good reviews and was near my price tag.

I'll check out the links provided and maybe rethink my order.

Thanks for the feedback so far...

enzoamata

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I'll let you guys know what it's like when I get it. I'll do a little review for anyone else interested in buying this PSU.