Sign in with
Your question

AMD Athlon II X3 450?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 18, 2012 4:51:25 PM

I bought this CPU for my new rig That i built, is it a good CPU? i am running ubuntu 11.10 but I have ordered W7 and i tried to unlock the extra cores but it just blanked and then said overclock failed, i went into bios and did it manually and i don't know much about overclocking but i changed the mhz from 200 to 215 and it changed the ghz from 3.2ghz - 3.45ghz, My question is

Is this a good CPU for average gaming?

How would i increase the performance stably?

PS

I have an ASUS M5A78LM/USB3 motherboard
since im not running Windows i havnt installed the turbo utility yet
I'm using the default heatsink + fan.

Thanks!

More about : amd athlon 450

February 18, 2012 5:24:06 PM

Im not sure but i think that the core unlock failed because when i press 4 it just blacked out and then i restarted it and it said unlock failed:( 
February 18, 2012 5:49:32 PM

If i pair this CPU OC'd at 3.4ghz with a Radeon 6870 or possibly the new 7800 series, how would this hold up? like would it play skyrim at good settings?

Thanks for the quick reply:) 
Related resources
February 18, 2012 6:14:46 PM

yeah thats fine I'm happy with that, on my old PC playing WOW the highest FPS i ever got was around 25 fps and i considered that very good haha, so under the circumstances that FPS in wow and skyrim are relative in performance, I would be very pleased with that as skyrim is a demanding game. Would you say the only thing holding my performance back would be the CPU? because at the end of the day i could get a good CPU in the future so thats not a problem:) 
Thanks very much for your help, much appreciated:) 
September 26, 2012 6:22:00 PM

sammyboy2 said:
I bought this CPU for my new rig That i built, is it a good CPU? i am running ubuntu 11.10 but I have ordered W7 and i tried to unlock the extra cores but it just blanked and then said overclock failed, i went into bios and did it manually and i don't know much about overclocking but i changed the mhz from 200 to 215 and it changed the ghz from 3.2ghz - 3.45ghz, My question is

Is this a good CPU for average gaming?

How would i increase the performance stably?

PS

I have an ASUS M5A78LM/USB3 motherboard
since im not running Windows i havnt installed the turbo utility yet
I'm using the default heatsink + fan.

Thanks!

dont let anyone say its garbage...im running a cheap biostar a780l3l board and overclocked my x3 to 3.6 GHz runs all games near max
!