AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE

DZeroENT

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I recently upgraded to a AM3 platform and ran some stability tests and during burn-in using Prime95 I encountered a problem w/ my #3 core. The workers ceased, I did have it overclocked to 3.8 w/ 1.5V and I have a temps didn't exceed 56C.

I'm not sure if I just got a less than awesome chip for overclocking but I am concerned it may inhibit my ability to overclock further in the future.

Current Setup:

Windows 7 Pro
AMD 955 BE
MSI 790FX-GD70
OCZ BE Edition RAM @ 1600Mhz
XFX HD 4890
Antec EarthWatts 750W

Also I had problems w/ the first two cores running at 800Mhz so I turned off CnC and it seemed to resolve the problem however before I did this the voltage on CPU-Z would fluctuate between .96V and 1.35V, I returned the CPU to stock voltage and speed as well when this happened.

I've had no problems since, but I want to know if this may inhibit my ability to overclock my BE processor.

havok85

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

What cooler you have?

loneninja

Distinguished

Just because yours does 3.6Ghz on stock voltage doesn't mean his will.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Sounds about right. Phenom II X4 are not the best overclockers for air or water (stability wise). I had to decrease my memory clocks to get mine stable past 3.8GHz (down to around 1333MHz from ~1600MHz).

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Just because yours does 3.6Ghz on stock voltage doesn't mean his will.
I have a mobo AM2/AM2+, and i can get the 3.6GHz only rise the multiplier. He have a better mobo that mine, with socket AM3, so, obviously he can get the 3.6GHz in the same way that me.
[/quotemsg]

Not every 955 is going to hit 3.6 on stock volts. It doesn't matter how good your mobo is (to an extent of course).

400MHz OC at stock is almost a universal 'given' with a BE. They tend to be slightly 'over-volted' at stock clocks (i.e., if the OP wanted to run at stock 3.2GHz, he could undervolt the CPU and run 'green').

The 790FX-GD70 could also OC well using the clock instead of the cpu multi --- that way the OP could keep C&Q enabled (if that is his thang). Though it takes a bit more tweaking he most likely can OC higher using the clock instead of simply using the multi alone.

The added benefit of also using the clock is the OC'ed NB/IMC --- for each 10% you OC the NB/IMC memory bandwidth is increased 3-4% and latency is reduced 3-4%.

DZeroENT

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
I have a CM V8 and Arctic Silver Ceramique compound. I think I have to do some lapping if my stock temps don't come down from 33C.

I know I can OC the motherboard a lot but I don't really want to. I kinda want my board to last a while so I can upgrade to AMD's new chip next year.

I'm pretty sure I got a suck chip because it doesn't really want to overclock w/o producing ridiculous amounts of heat, my Windsor 64 X2 at the same wattage produced less heat per MHz of OC.

If my heat issues continue I'm gonna go back to AS5 due to the high probablity of air bubbles in the application process. Ceramique is extrememly thick and requires a perfect spread for optimal results.

I'm just heartbroken because I probably won't get a very functional OC at 3.8 just due to the amount of heat. I may upgrade to water cooling in the future but that will come at the same time as the new chip so I guess I'll just have to cope w/ a 3.6 or so.

Thanks for your suggestions, If anything else comes up let me know. I'm still waiting for the compound to fully cure and the the chip to be fully "broken in".

BTW I did run Prime95 for an hour and at stock w/o the thermal compound set I was at about 57C at full load.

SgtUSMC

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
Had a Problem like this before and it was the Memory settings......... work with the Memory and the HT and pass Prime95 for 5 hrs will do more testing....its a Balance to get thing running right just stay with it take your time ....