Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What's the best liquid cooling for beginers

Last response: in Overclocking
February 18, 2012 5:47:41 PM

i just built a decent gaming rig, and i obviously didn't realize how complicated water cooling can get. i wanted to overclock and i was wondering whats a good (cheap) liquid cooler i can get.

i have
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
AMD phenom II X6 1100t black edition
Antec nine hundred

im looking for something simple, and only to cool my CPU, not my GPU,
anything helps, thanks
February 18, 2012 6:24:48 PM

BigMack70 said:
I've heard pretty good things about the Corsair H100 and though I have not used it personally it looks pretty simple to set up.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

thanks for the quick reply, im also curious how i would set this up. how do i attacth it to the back. and what would i need to use as liquid, just water or do i need to buy a solution
Score
February 18, 2012 9:19:06 PM

The corsair H80 is apperently very good and is very easy to fit. It will fit just about anywhere you have 120mm fan,just remove the fan and fit the H80 in its place. As Killey13 said go on Youtube,there are many tutorials.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

February 18, 2012 9:29:30 PM

obviously not on topic, but I really think you're not going to see great performance gains using an expensive watercooling unit over something like the cooler master hyper 212 evo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

for $35 you'll be within a few degrees of the $120 H100...money that could definitely be spent better elsewhere.

a more expensive, (and slightly better option) would be the Thermaltake Frio for $55: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

finally is the noctua, for $89, and is pretty much the best air cooling setup you can buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

there's really not much different between those 3 models...i'd suggest you read up on their performance and see if it really makes sense. a lot of people like watercooling options because of silence, but those closed loop systems still use a back exhast fan (which is Huge on the H100), and probably wouldn't fit in your antec 900.
February 18, 2012 9:52:19 PM

Closed loop Water coolers like the Corsair H xxxseries are not really consider real water cooling they are in the same class as air cooling as far as performance and price is concerned. I will recomend the RASA 750 Kit as an introduction to real water cooling but if water cooling is not for you I would recommended an Air Cooler from the likes of Noctua or the CM Hyper 212+ if situation permits. http://dazmode.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_in...
Score
a c 145 K Overclocking
February 18, 2012 10:32:06 PM

Liquid Cooling has lost it's "Raison d'ĂȘtre". The better air coolers get within a fraction of a degree of the "faux water coolers" like the H100 while maintaining much lower noise. Current "top dog" is the Phanteks PH-TC14PE followed by the Thermaltake Silver Arrow ... Noctua DH-14 is still in the Top 5 as is the Coolermaster V6 GT but it also is quite a noise maker....all run about $80

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/phanteks_ph_tc14pe...

Nest step down is the Hyper 612 PWM and Scythe Mugen 3 at the $50 budget range.

Finally, the next step down at $25 is the hyper 212.
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 19, 2012 10:25:55 AM

As for fitting the allinone systems, its simply mount the rad, then mount the block as you would any normal heatsink, ensure its plugged in and done
you don't fill them as they are pre-filled and sealed so it is simple and safe,
having said that, I agree with Jack and boopoo, these things are not 'real' watercooling and a good aircooler is probably a better option, if you go water you do it properly, not through these fisher price units hehe
Moto
Score
February 19, 2012 1:22:17 PM

i honestly didnt expect this many responses. thanks.
i decided id go with the hyper 212+ it seemed like the best solution. Thanks Again for the help
Score
February 19, 2012 4:31:47 PM

killey13 said:
i honestly didnt expect this many responses. thanks.
i decided id go with the hyper 212+ it seemed like the best solution. Thanks Again for the help

Pro tip good choice on a hyper 212+ its all anyone really needs to do a nice OC on any CPU Watercooling is kinda a high end novelty just to say you have it and closed loop water coolers like H80/100 are just a joke they should be selling in a cheap novelty magic trick store LOL.
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 19, 2012 6:08:30 PM

I have to disagree on the 'just to say you have it' part, I enjoy the engineering involved but I agree with it not being 'necessary' as much as it used to be
and the all in ones I refer to as fisher price units because fisher price is a kids toy company in the UK :p 
Good call though Op, you can't go far wrong with a 212+
Moto
Score
February 19, 2012 8:38:53 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
I have to disagree on the 'just to say you have it' part, I enjoy the engineering involved but I agree with it not being 'necessary' as much as it used to be
and the all in ones I refer to as fisher price units because fisher price is a kids toy company in the UK :p 
Good call though Op, you can't go far wrong with a 212+
Moto

If like you say a real water cooling loop is as you say unneeded and it is not needed I agree than it is just purely for the novelty of it and to say you have is for the Epeen like I got Intel i7 2600K liquid cooled @ 5ghz stable we have Fisher Price in Canada to I had many toys that said Fisher Price as a baby and small child.
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 19, 2012 10:15:04 PM

Cool :-)
A lot of the us members don't get the reference hehe, glad you do
I didn't say unneeded, more that its not as essential for overclocking as it has previously been because air coolers are so much advanced compared to how they were,
I know a lot have water just to say they have it, but a lot of us are pure mental engineer/modders, we like to do it just because we can involve ourselves into a project and overcome problems,
Aopologies to Op for our debate taking over the thread though, drop in the W/C closed loop debate thread and we can talk more mate :-)
Moto
Score
February 19, 2012 11:28:12 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Cool :-)
A lot of the us members don't get the reference hehe, glad you do
I didn't say unneeded, more that its not as essential for overclocking as it has previously been because air coolers are so much advanced compared to how they were,
I know a lot have water just to say they have it, but a lot of us are pure mental engineer/modders, we like to do it just because we can involve ourselves into a project and overcome problems,
Aopologies to Op for our debate taking over the thread though, drop in the W/C closed loop debate thread and we can talk more mate :-)
Moto

I love case modding as well and some of my favorite modders are Tiny Tom Logan @ OC3D, MAXIshine, Bill Owen over @ MNPCTEC and CyberDruidthemodgod, and West Cost Mods, just to name a few as well I have done a bit of modding myself but not near as much as I would like cause it is really expensive for the good stuff as we all know. Soon I will be modding my Custom modded by me Antec 100 Case to fit an XSPC Rasa 750 240mm Rad Liquid Cooling loop kit for my BD FX - 8150 CPU and see if I can crank it up to 5ghz 24/7 stable LOL I am thinking of doing a build log as well and posting it up on YouTube.
Score
February 20, 2012 2:23:34 PM

Best answer selected by Killey13.
Score
a b K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 9:45:57 AM

All these coolers and liquid coolers have been tested several times and over again. The question is how well do each cooler perform, how well his CPU will overclock is something entirely different. Yes the biggest bang for the buck is what everyone is interested in. This is why i mention and recommend the NH-D14 as it's quite, extremely efficient, and is cost effective. The H100 is a good cooler, but simply not worth the extra cost for a noisy, liquid loop yes you could replace the noisy fans but at the price it being sold for it a rip off plus take into account replacing those noisy fans is going to cost you even more money A lot of people buy them because they assume a liquid closed loop is better than any air cooler or because of not having to Maintenance, or clear sides, and clearance issues. But honestly regardless to how ugly and big the NH-D14 is, its performance and quality is unmatched the H100 was just 2c warmer than the NH-D14 in my testing so there perform pretty much the same but when you take into account price and noise factors NH-D14 is clearly the winner . I really see no point or reason to even invest into a closed loop cooler as you can get a Rasa Kit for only a few bucks more.
Score
a c 324 K Overclocking
April 17, 2012 2:21:33 PM

This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
Score
!