Clicking sound

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
I just got a new 19" monitor (don't have the manuf info with me right now) and when I switch to DOS mode or when 3dmark switches between scenes there is a distint mechanical clicking sound. Very much like the sound when you power it on. Does anyone know what this is and is it a bad sign?

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy - A. Rand </i>

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It is common for some monitors to make clicking sounds during startup and resolution changes. As the computer boots it goes through a number of resolution changes. Dos mode is typically 640 x 480 windows splash screen then goes to something like 720 x 400 then when windows desktop comes up it goes to whatever resolution you set example 1024 x 768. Some monitors use relays to switch high voltage during resolution changes thus you hear a clicking noise. Typically this is nothing to worry about and is a normal operation of the monitor. If the monitor is making clicking sounds and it is not in a resolution change transition, this may be an indication of a problem.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
MonitorsDirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

johnoh

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2002
Thanks a lot Jim. I will go on ignoring it. Hopefully it is mot something that causes wear and tear. It is an inexpensive monitor but I have always bought cheap monitors with excellent success until now.

<i>Reason the only absolute. Irrationality the only enemy - A. Rand </i>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I have a kds vs-70 and it also does this clicking noise you are talking about. it is normal though it is annoying. I think that this should be listed under its specifications before you buy it but thats just me complaining

Dungeons and Dragons Famous Last Words:
"C'mon DM,let's see some REAL monsters!" And then you turn the corner as the Dungeon Master chuckles... DM: "It hits and... Oh hold on... I need more dice"