My computer just died

tatlow91

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi I was just using my computer on the internet when it just stopped as if someone had pulled the plug out. I checked this and it was ok and there is power to the computer but it wont switch on. I changed the psu but it still doesn't work. Any ideas?

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Un plug all drives, PCI-E, PCI, sata, ide hardware.

Leave only power supply, motherboard and CPU.

If you hear the RAM missing beep, it's most likely not the motherboard. Which means it's the CPU or RAM, try test ram on another computer if you have one. If it works it's the CPU.

If no sound beeps because of lack of ram or the computer does not boot or turn on, then your motherboard is fault. Send it to RMA if it's still in warranty, if not then your going to need to buy one.

CPU must also be tested but I doubt you have the resources to test it in.

What processor, ram, motherboard do you have?

tatlow91

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi thanks for your reply
MY MOTHERBOARD IS AN msi ms-7255 ver:1.1
PROCESSOR IS pENTIUM d 2.8GHZ/2M/800.05a
When i unplug everything as stated nothing happens but when i unplug the 4 pin ATX conn for the processor everything powers up. This is taking the PSU out. Do you think it could be the processor or is it just as likely to be the motherboard?
thanks

What? You unplug the the CPU cable and everything powers up? You get the POST beep? No POST beep, everything is not powering up.

What kind of PSU?

tatlow91

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Reply to jsc
When I say everything powers up I mean the fans power up obviously it doesn't boot up but it doesn't trip the PSU out as it does with the psu conn connected. I have tried three psu's and it isn't the PSU. It has to be the motherboard or the processor I think but which one?