Last response: in CPUs

i7 860 for $280 or 965 BE w/ sata3+usb3+firewire+cfx for $220

Total: 4 votes

• i7 860 + Biostar
  • 25 %
  • 965 BE + Gigabyte
  • 75 %
January 10, 2010 5:37:37 PM

Hey everyone. I wasn't sure if this was the right place to post this. I had a question about some options I have for a new build. The first option is a 965 BE + Gigabyte UD4 w/ sata & usb 3, as well as crossfire capability, for $220. The other option is a Biostar TP55 w/ an i7-860 for $265. I can definitely max out both of them as far as power goes; gaming is not the main reason for getting the pc.

My biggest concern is in resell value and futureproofing (~ 7 months from now). The AMD combo has the sata / usb 3, but the processor is already lagging behind in comparison to what's out there. The 860 probably isn't going to have any new competition anytime soon, but the motherboard is lacking (can't crossfire, no firewire). On top of the extra $45, i'll also have to shell out $15 for a firewire card as well. As much as I'd love and need the juice of an 860, the AMD seems the way to go for me right now.

Just wanted to get others input before I seal the deal. Thanks.

AMD 790XTA-UD4 -$220 - newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128416

i7 Biostar TP55 - $265 ($280) - newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138161
January 10, 2010 7:24:41 PM

I'm a Intel fan but voted for AMD on this one because i do not know that much on biostar motherboards but i use GIGABYTE motherboard and it worked fine for me.

Probably the i7 will do better in most applications but you can use 2 video cards and that can help if you decide to play games more.

Also USB and SATA 3 will help in the near future.
a c 127 à CPUs
January 10, 2010 7:39:15 PM

Well its really going to depend on what you want to do with this PC. Considering you want firewire I would assume you might do large transfers and a lot of video editing?

If so the 860 would be the best bet but personaly I use Asus only for mobos due to their offerings.

but if price is the main concern then it may be better to go with the AMD combo.

SATA 3 HDDS aren't out yet and the only ones that will probably utilize the 6GB/s (600 Mb/s) transfer rates are SSDs that are still high in cost. I did read that Intel was testing their SSDs using SATA 3 and maxed out near 600Mb/s.

USB 3.0 is nice but very few devices utilize it yet and I am waiting till its on the chipset itself so it will be built into the mobo. Then there is Intels Lightwire thats set to start at a super fast 10GB/s then go to 100GB/s and might replace USB as we know it.

So lets put it this way:

If you want max performance outside of gaming the the 860 is the way to go.

if you want to save a bit of money and have a few gaming options open go with AMD.

If you want the performance and future options then get the Intel with a better mobo.
!