Logitech Z5 wont work on windowx 7

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
I am having a problem with my Logitech Z5. Everytime i turn my computer off and then turn it back on the usb speakers is not getting any power. When i check device manager there is an uknow device but when i tryed to update it. The driver is up to date

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008

yes i have but its something to do when everytime i turn the computer on theres no signal or power going to the speakers

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Do they come on if you unplug them and then plug them back in?

You seem to be a bit confused how these speakers operate. These speakers have a USB sound card built in to them. All of the normal device communication that would usually happen through the PCI bus is going through the USB cable to a smart sound card device located in the bottom of one of the speakers. That smart sound card device is converting your operating system's sound events into an analog sound signal that is amplified by something. (USB power? Batteries? Logitech's site did not show a power source?) That amplified signal goes to the speakers to make sound.

If the speakers use USB power and the USB port cannot send the requested power AND it knows it, the USB port will turn itself off and notify the OS of an over-amperage. If the USB port gets overdrawn and is NOT smart enough to turn itself off, it will die. (This should not happen in any quality product.) If they don't use USB power (they have batteries or a power brick) then this isn't an issue.

If the speakers come alive when you unplug and re-plug them, you have a driver problem and should look for new drivers.

If the speakers do not come alive when you unplug and re-plug them, you could have a number of problems, and you want to start by making sure those USB ports actually do work. Grab a USB mouse or something and plug it in and make sure it works.

It could even be the USB cable to the speakers. If that's been abused, kinked, tied in a tight knot, or chewed on by rabbits, communication could break down.

You could have the wrong audio device selected as default. Since the speakers essentially install a new sound card in the system, make sure it's set to be the default output device.

If they are battery powered, change the batteries.

Right now I'm leaning towards it being a driver problem so start with the Logitech website.

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
Yes the speakers works when plug them into the computer. I have remove the old drivers manual and installed them manual to see if that is the problem. I am running Windows 7 64bit home edition, Intel Quad core,8 GB of DDR3. I believe the problem is in the drivers itself. I installed it on my other computer that is running Windows 7 64 Bit Home edition, Intel D 3.75GHz and 2 GB DDR 2. Both i have tried a laptop that was running windows xp and the speaks works perfectly. It might have to do with Windows 7 its self or the 64bit of the operating system that allows the it to read more then 3.75GB of ram

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008

Thanks for the helpful information. I am at my dad house and I will get back to your if that fixed the problem. When I plug the speakers into the computer, the speakers works properly. The problem I am having is when my dad shuts the computer down, the speakers won't be recognize. The port that the speakers are plug in are at the bottom of the motherbard below the on board ethernetcard and 2 usb ports. The system has a total of 4 usb ports at the back and 2 at the front. Should I try the ports beside the ethernet card?