Under $1600 Gaming PC - First Time Builder Needs Advice

UnknownSoldier

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Approximate Purchase Date : First week of November.
Budget Range : $1600 maximum limit.
System Usage : Gaming, Programming, Video, Usual Stuff.
Parts Not Required : Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor (wouldn't mind a suggestion for an affordable second wide-screen monitor though).
Preferred Website : Newegg.ca
Overclocking : Never done it before, but I plan on it.
Crossfire : Yes, eventually will need it.
Monitor Resolution : 1440 x 900 (I will most likely be buying a higher resolution monitor after the holidays).
Additional Comments : I plan on overclocking (for the first time), and I wanted a setup where I'm not going to need to really upgrade any of the expensive parts for a year or two. So basically I'm looking for quality.

CPU : Core i7 920

RAM : Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB)

Video Card : SAPPHIRE 100282SR Radeon HD 5850

Motherboard : EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hard Drive : Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB

Power Supply : CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V

Case : Antec Twelve Hundred

CPU Cooler : I'm not sure what to get here. I do plan on overclocking, and I understand how important a good CPU cooler is. I don't want to get into liquid cooling. I had considered the Prolimatech Megahalems but from what I read the extra degree or two cooling you get is not worth the extra money you pay. I do want something that's good quality.

Total Price is roughly $1470 CAD ($1430 after rebates)

If you see anything I could change for a much better price per performance, I'd be much obliged.

jbakerlent

Distinguished
Welcome to the forum!

I would recommend this RAM over the expensive dominators
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop

this is a solid mobo (I don't place a high value on newegg reviews)
ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel

You'll be fine with a 750W even if you crossfire
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC

I really like this HSF
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve

Sorry, haven't heard of that website.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
If you don't upgrade your monitor, no point on getting 5850 video card. 1440x900 is pathetically low so even a 4850 can max all settings in most games.

also, don't look at the ratings on newegg. a lot of them are noobs, there's no point. not reliable

UnknownSoldier

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Yea, I'm starting to seriously consider buying another monitor to make my primary. Just taking a quick browse over the better monitors it would probably cost me somewhere in the vicinity of $200 CAD.

Now, I've decided to settle for a single WD 640GB HD which has saved me $80. Chances are by the time I fill it prices will have come down even more or something. The next thing I'm looking at is the RAM.

Wondering if someone could give me a rundown on my options here for RAM. I keep hearing that most games don't need more than 4GB, but I'm thinking a bit into the future and 6GB seems to be the sweet spot.

UnknownSoldier

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Swapped out the RAM for the OCZ Platinum. Been browsing this forum a lot over the past week and I see it being recommended a lot so I assume it's good quality stuff.

Now I'm wondering about the motherboard; I wanted to know from some people here whether or not it was a good one. I do plan on grabbing another 5850, and I haven't seen any complaints regarding positioning on it. If it checks out I'll probably grab the ram/mobo combo and mail-in rebates so the cost for it will be under $300 in the end.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Unknown Solider, this is pretty embarrasing but I can't figure out how to get the editing hyperlinks to work on this forum. how did you make so that instead of having the full URL you just had a shorten clickable name for the part?...i can't get it to work on this forum any help? Haha

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Because of the socket...the 920 socket is 1366 which is more high end then the 1156 that the i7 860/870 use and the 920 is better when doing SLI/Crossfire because of higher bandwidth in the PCI-E Slots (or so i've heard) and new Intels hexacored i9's will be released for LGA 1366.

jbakerlent

Distinguished
I'll repost the post UnknownSoldier is talking about here, so others know what he's talking about

Here's a simple explanation of why I prefer 1156/P55:
1. 860's frequency is higher
2. 860's turbo mode is far greater
3. 860's TDP is far lower
4. 860's intel specified supported ram frequency is higher
5. 860's overall price is far lower
6. Initial very high price of gulftown cpus
7. Lack of real need for 16x/16x crossfire
8. Limited benefit of triple channel ram

travalon

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
I just submitted my order for your shopping list minus the vid card and I chose the antec 900. I should have it in a week or so. I am a noob and plan on the same things you are. My bill cashed out at $1,177.00 USD including other websites. (It's how I justified the cooler.). I went with the 850w just to be sure it would last through a couple of builds. Hopefully in a couple of weeks I can let you know how everything works out. I did go with the Prolimatech Megahalems along with some inline auto speed controllers found here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5299/tmp-31/NoiseMagic_ThemoControl_NMT-3_Solder_Version.html

running this

SILVERSTONE FM121-B 120mm Case Fan - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220014

I'm not sure if they will be compatible but if I need to, in theory, I can push max 110cfm through the cooling fins.

I'll be using a pair of FREE GeForce 8700's for the time being. I want to see if Nvidia comes out with something worth the wait.

I think I get a total of $80-$100 USD worth of rebates as well.

UnknownSoldier

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

Yea... can't really get much better than that, but I'm really trying not to start ordering from a number of different sites due to shipping costs (on that site to Canada it's already over $100 and I don't even know if there will be a fee when it arrives). Actually that thing seems to be impossible to find inside of Canada (ncix is out of stock).