Sign in with
Your question

VGA not detectable

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2009 4:01:53 AM

Well I assembled my computer today, assuming I have done it correctly as it's been 10 years since I helped a friend build his. I have tried removing and replacing the video card, still getting the VGA Not Detected screen. There are no beeps when I boot up. All the fans run, and look like everything else is also.

This is my previous thread http://www.pcmech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210977 , towards the bottom of the thread are the listed components I went with.

So far I have removed and reinstalled everyhing, changed ram around. The problem is I don't have other components to swap out one at a time. I am also concerned because after 15 minutes if being powered on, the CPU is still cold. I cant get my hands on speakers so I can at least hear the beeping. I expectEd t run into problems but damn ...

More about : vga detectable

October 24, 2009 4:48:13 AM

markdk86 said:
Well I assembled my computer today, assuming I have done it correctly as it's been 10 years since I helped a friend build his. I have tried removing and replacing the video card, still getting the VGA Not Detected screen. There are no beeps when I boot up. All the fans run, and look like everything else is also.

This is my previous thread http://www.pcmech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210977 , towards the bottom of the thread are the listed components I went with.

So far I have removed and reinstalled everyhing, changed ram around. The problem is I don't have other components to swap out one at a time. I am also concerned because after 15 minutes if being powered on, the CPU is still cold. I cant get my hands on speakers so I can at least hear the beeping. I expectEd t run into problems but damn ...

It sounds to me like a power issue. Make 100% sure everything is plugged in properly including the video card.
I dont have one but isnt there an internal speaker in the Antec 300? If not then I would try Radio Shack or order one for sure.
Also try booting with only 1 stick of RAM.
m
l
October 24, 2009 5:12:07 AM

If it's been 10 years since you've done it, there's a new feature on new builds. There's a 4/8 pin CPU power that needs to be plugged in next to the CPU socket. If you forget to plug it in, all you will get is spinning fans.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2009 12:42:24 PM

I checked all the plugs again and am pretty sure it is assembled correctly. I'm frustrated.
m
l
October 24, 2009 1:24:30 PM

Problem fixed, left out the 4pin CPU cable.
m
l
October 24, 2009 6:25:32 PM

^ Very common mistake.

The CPU used to get power through the 20/4 pin main power. Now the sockets are powered by their own 4/8 pin connector. Without it, the CPU gets no power and the board doesn't POST.
m
l
!