Sign in with
Your question

VGA not detectable

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2009 4:01:53 AM

Well I assembled my computer today, assuming I have done it correctly as it's been 10 years since I helped a friend build his. I have tried removing and replacing the video card, still getting the VGA Not Detected screen. There are no beeps when I boot up. All the fans run, and look like everything else is also.

This is my previous thread http://www.pcmech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210977 , towards the bottom of the thread are the listed components I went with.

So far I have removed and reinstalled everyhing, changed ram around. The problem is I don't have other components to swap out one at a time. I am also concerned because after 15 minutes if being powered on, the CPU is still cold. I cant get my hands on speakers so I can at least hear the beeping. I expectEd t run into problems but damn ...

More about : vga detectable

October 24, 2009 4:48:13 AM

markdk86 said:
Well I assembled my computer today, assuming I have done it correctly as it's been 10 years since I helped a friend build his. I have tried removing and replacing the video card, still getting the VGA Not Detected screen. There are no beeps when I boot up. All the fans run, and look like everything else is also.

This is my previous thread http://www.pcmech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210977 , towards the bottom of the thread are the listed components I went with.

So far I have removed and reinstalled everyhing, changed ram around. The problem is I don't have other components to swap out one at a time. I am also concerned because after 15 minutes if being powered on, the CPU is still cold. I cant get my hands on speakers so I can at least hear the beeping. I expectEd t run into problems but damn ...

It sounds to me like a power issue. Make 100% sure everything is plugged in properly including the video card.
I dont have one but isnt there an internal speaker in the Antec 300? If not then I would try Radio Shack or order one for sure.
Also try booting with only 1 stick of RAM.
October 24, 2009 5:12:07 AM

If it's been 10 years since you've done it, there's a new feature on new builds. There's a 4/8 pin CPU power that needs to be plugged in next to the CPU socket. If you forget to plug it in, all you will get is spinning fans.
Related resources
October 24, 2009 12:42:24 PM

I checked all the plugs again and am pretty sure it is assembled correctly. I'm frustrated.
October 24, 2009 1:24:30 PM

Problem fixed, left out the 4pin CPU cable.
October 24, 2009 6:25:32 PM

^ Very common mistake.

The CPU used to get power through the 20/4 pin main power. Now the sockets are powered by their own 4/8 pin connector. Without it, the CPU gets no power and the board doesn't POST.
!