Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard or Processor Failing?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 18, 2010 10:55:34 PM

My computer had been running fine as of late until about one month ago when i began having some lockup issues. Nothing truly of value is on this computer, so after running anti-virus scans and other maintenance programs, I determined that the best course of action was to wipe the hard drive. After reinstalling the OS and the motherboard drivers, I still encountered lockups (though these were not as permanent, nor as frequent as the previous lockups) that lasted anywhere from 10 seconds to a few minutes, and in some cases it would not recover at all.

The biggest problem that I have encountered since the wipe, is that the computer itself seems to be running far more sluggish than prior to the wipe. The largest evidence I can supply are the exceedingly long loading times with general programs and in games, none more so prevalent than in Mass Effect 2. Loading times before my troubles were a breeze (lasting no more than a few seconds). Now they take far longer to proceed through, and while I had the game running on maximum settings before, now I cannot run Dynamic Shadows for the life of me without encountering a massive framerate reduction. I know that ME2 is a processor intensive game, but I can't fathom why it will not run now as it did before.

I did not know which category to post this in, whether it be a motherboard or processor issue, as I have replaced the RAM already hoping to aleviate the concern. Since both of the items are under warranty, I will presumably send one or both of them in to be worked on in the worst case scenario. If there are any other tricks I can do on my end I would be appreciative on any advice.

Currently Using:
Intel Dual Core E8400
Asus P5N-D Motherboard
4GB DDR2 RAM
750W Power Supply
Nvidia 9800GTX SLi
a c 195 V Motherboard
April 18, 2010 11:32:05 PM

Sounds like a failing HD to me. Download Speedfan and check the SMART status and make sure all the values are within the norms. Also have you run memtest? Try that as well to rule out bad RAM.
Also what are your temps? Either the CPU or the graphics card could be throttling due to overheating. Speedfan should show both.

Speedfan here:
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Memtest here:
http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
a c 295 V Motherboard
April 18, 2010 11:53:51 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

Just for know, Which was the last time that you clean the rig? Are you using the stock cooler? Which age have the rig?
m
l
Related resources
April 18, 2010 11:57:05 PM

To Anort3: Oddly enough, the SMART status screen displays nothing of my HD. I presume that is indicative of the beginning of a failing HD? Otherwise, temperatures amongst the GPUs and CPUs are falling within the norms (40-60 depending on the load for GPUs, and 40-53 depending of the load for the CPUs). I have not had a chance to check out memtest yet.

To SAINT19: I cleaned the rig right after the troubles began, and yes I am using the stock cooling unit. The rig is only about a year old currently.
m
l
a c 195 V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 12:08:29 AM

roneohseven said:
To Anort3: Oddly enough, the SMART status screen displays nothing of my HD. I presume that is indicative of the beginning of a failing HD? Otherwise, temperatures amongst the GPUs and CPUs are falling within the norms (40-60 depending on the load for GPUs, and 40-53 depending of the load for the CPUs). I have not had a chance to check out memtest yet.

To SAINT19: I cleaned the rig right after the troubles began, and yes I am using the stock cooling unit. The rig is only about a year old currently.

This may sound dumb but did you select your HD from the drop down menu on the SMART tab in Speedfan?
m
l
April 19, 2010 12:10:45 AM

There is nothing to select actually, I'm rather baffled by this.
m
l
a c 195 V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 12:17:38 AM

You have RAID? Will not report then. Mine does not.
m
l
April 20, 2010 1:05:00 PM

My computer is not set up for a RAID system. Sorry about the lengthy reply time.
m
l
a c 156 V Motherboard
April 20, 2010 5:57:51 PM

It's unlikely that the CPU is at fault.
m
l
April 21, 2010 1:20:21 PM

Well, thanks for all the assistance with this problem. I will send the motherboard in, and check an old hard drive to see if one of those might be the problem.
m
l
!