Using a T6600 2.2/800/2MB with 4GB DDR3-1066

Edweird

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hello everyone, I've seen and have been advised that this is the place to ask. I have looked through most of the info on-site but I'm a little pressed for time. So I apologize if this is a repeat-question. So, I am about to buy a certain Acer 7738G. This particular setup has the above mentioned specifications. Now what I am wondering is, seeing as how to DDR3 doesn't really make a difference in performance on these chipsets, I would like to know if it is possible to squeeze it for performance without OC'ing. How would I go about matching speeds and ratios (perhaps a 1:1?) to improve on this setup? As far as I know these cpus' fsb should be 200 MHz, due to quaddng? And the ram should be dual-channel, I believe. Should I even bother (yes, will be used for gaming, and I know the setup is great as it is, just want to get it as good as I can) or shall I just ignore this minor offset and be happy with the whole deal? Thanks in advance.

P.S By the way, I have seen this laptop pulling up some pretty good stats, being able to play most if not all games except Crysis at high settings with at least 25-30 FPS, which is completely satisfactory. This particular version uses the nVidia GeForce GT240M with 1GB of DDR3 memory, with CUDA and PhysX, up to 2303 MB with TurboCache, I believe. I do prefer the HD4650 but a setup to my liking is not available.

r_manic

Administrator
I think the most important consideration when about OCing a setup is the motherboard. Have you tried getting feedback regarding this? Apologies btw, I'm not too familiar with oveclocking laptops.

Edweird

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Yes, I believe so as well, but what I'm looking to is not necessarily overclocking, rather than balancing the frequencies, latencies etc. because I am pretty sure a 800 MHz FSB does not go best with 1066 MHz RAM.