5870 Vapor at newegg?

thelastpriest

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
Was just browsing newegg for and looked up the 5870's looks like a bunch are deactivated and the stock photo's for the Sapphire variant have been changed to the Vapor-x, listed at $399 but not showing as available, thats gotta be a mistake right?

vapor.jpg

vapor2.jpg

selicate

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah, but they're going to be even harder to get than the reference cards for the time being. Lots of hitting the refresh button and praying you're online when the next shipment comes!

In the listing, the VXSR designation in the product code is all they give you to let you know it's the Vapor X, I agree that it's odd they didn't just write it into the description.

They are already increasing the price for the 5850 so I wouldn't be surprised if the Vapor X 5870 went up a bit. Prices on 5800 series cards probably won't drop till the end of January if we're lucky. With the yield problems I honestly doubt that nVidia will be able to put out many GT300 cards if they launch it anytime soon so that wouldn't really impact 5800 series pricing.

The only thing I don't like about the Vapor-X cooler is that it doesnt exhaust the hot air out the back. I reciently tried to Crossfire (2) 4870's and they had similar coolers that didn't exhaust the hot air and the top card would overheat. Blah, sold them for a 5870.

They don't produce much heat to begin with, so really the stock cooler is PLENTY. Idle it sits around 40C and I don't think it's topped over about 72-73C on any game. The OC results I've looked at really don't produce much of a yield for this card either. Maybe 1-2 FPS.