Sign in with
Your question

Sony Vaio Desktop Ethernet Controller Problem

Last response: in Windows XP
April 15, 2012 3:43:17 PM

Hello, after reinstalling PX, the system is unable to recognize the wirelessethernet controller. vaio is a vgnfs715. i've tried all the downloads on sony's web.
a b \ Driver
April 15, 2012 7:30:53 PM

antoniozig said:
Hello, after reinstalling PX, the system is unable to recognize the wirelessethernet controller. vaio is a vgnfs715. i've tried all the downloads on sony's web.

You mean after reinstalling XP, I assume PX is just a typo.

Uninstall whatever driver you now have, plus "other Devices".

Download from Sony your model's driver - save to desktop.

Reboot - Point to desktop for wizard to install drivers.
m
l
October 16, 2012 10:54:39 PM

That would be good advice if it were sound. Sony no longer supplies chipset drivers or drivers for many older Vaio/PCs that they sold and should be held responsible for.

That is why I always tell friends NOT to buy proprietary products like Sony, Apple and so forth. I used to sell electronics many years ago and Sony was the bane of my existence at times. Even their home phone products were a pain in the arse!

That being said, I am not sure what to do either. I inherited an old Vaio PC with 128 mb RAM and re-installed a Win flavor on it, only to find that I can't get the Ethernet controller drivers from Sony. I got the motherboard number/model and all that, but I have yet to find the info I need. I got the whole PC open up on the floor right now and I can't find anything listed near the Ethernet plug that is soldered onto the board, only the motherboard number.

There is a site I found but I have yet to understand how to use it:
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/
and
http://motherboards.mbarron.net/specs.htm

On its main page it has two categories: Folders and database index, which both seem to refer to what CPU you have on board.

I am about to jump into that and hope I find something out.

All the best!
m
l
Related resources
!