Sign in with
Your question

Unlocking the 960T

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 19, 2012 4:11:05 AM

Hello all, I recently built my first computer with a AMD Phenom II X4 960T CPU. I have absolutely zero experience regarding overclocking of any kind, so I made sure to read carefully when looking at unlocking the 960T.

So I enabled the cores using the BIOS UCC (or ACC, can't recall) feature on my Extreme3 870 R2. Booted up with no issues. Task manager recognized six cores, temperature was holding nicely at around 35-40C. I even did the whole Windows performance/computer rating thing and saw a bump on my processor rating. CPU-Z recognized it as a X6 1065T.

I did no other overclocking of any kind (no messing with the voltage, multiplier, nothing like that, just turned the option on in the BIOS).

However, I do know that stability tests are a big deal when it comes to these type of things so I ran both Intel Burn and OCCT, both failed (early too, OCCT failed within 16 seconds and Intel Burn after the second test).

For now I've bumped it back down to 4 cores, but I don't know what to make of the stability test results. Is it something that should keep me at 4 cores or should I bump it back up to 6? I don't do anything as stressful as those tests, just some gaming (sports sims for the most part).

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

More about : unlocking 960t

February 19, 2012 3:48:18 PM

So I did some more reading, and it seems like a common problem after unlocking is that some (most?) monitoring programs can no longer read the temps of the cores. That's definitely something present on mine (though ASRock eXtreme Tuner can read the temp fine).

Could that be why the stability tests are failing, as opposed to an actual bad core?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2012 4:41:39 PM

SinDxs said:
So I did some more reading, and it seems like a common problem after unlocking is that some (most?) monitoring programs can no longer read the temps of the cores. That's definitely something present on mine (though ASRock eXtreme Tuner can read the temp fine).

Could that be why the stability tests are failing, as opposed to an actual bad core?

no.

and the board utility is reading the board sensor not the core temps
m
l
!