Corsair 1000hx or 850hx

damesJ

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Just a quick question for you guys.. I'm starting to put together a computer and wondering if a corsair 850hx will be enough.

Components to be used:

- i7 920 - overclocked
- radeon 5870 in crossfire - also overclocked
- Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC pump for water cooling

Thanks for the help

The Corsair HX-850 is in the top 5 PSU's on the market and will handle twim 58xx cards......Others to consider:

Antec SG-850
Antec CP-850
Seasonic M12D 850W

whether it's enough for water cooling depends on what you're adding tho, unless your going over 4.4 Ghz, I don't see a need for water.

Let this "do the math" for you....don't forget to fill in fans, cooler, external USB / firewire, all cards, and other drop downs for capacitor aging ,etc

http://www.antec.outervision.com/

damesJ

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
ahh thats a very helpful calculator... thank you

I'd like water cooling not only for overclocking (not gonna go insane with it) but for the noise reduction as well.

Here are the official power recommendations for the ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.