how manage the admin account on xp home edition

I am working on a machine for a relative that has xp home edition. Her
account is an administrator account but by habit I wanted to log on as 'the'
local administrator account. I know in xp you can hit ctrl+alt+del and then
log in as administrator so I did that on this machine and tried a blank
password.. I figured that would do it since this is a preinstall from
dell... I got a message the the policy would not allow me to log in. Note it
did not say the username or password were incorrect.. anyway, I noticed the
familiar user manager was not there as it is in xp pro. I wanted to reset
the password on the admin account to verify the failure to log in was not
due to a bad password. So, then, since thats not an option how do I get the
administrator account to show up in the control panel's user section? I want
to reset the password for the local administrator account. AND, assuming
that does not fix the issue how do I change whatever is preventing me from
logging on as the local administrator? I did not see the familiar 'local
security policy' as I do in xp pro. Obviously I don't use home edition much.

any info is greatly appreciated.
3 answers Last reply
More about manage admin account home edition

    You need to use the Machine's hidden admin account. To do this in Home
    Edition, you need to log into Safe Mode as the machine admin. Usually, you
    will see a user at Safe Mode designated as Administrator, that's the hidden
    account, select it, leave the password blank and press enter. On machines
    that came with XP factory installed, they usually don't create a password
    for this account and most users who install XP don't either...though they
    should. Nonetheless, leaving it blank should get you in and allow you to do
    as you wish.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >I am working on a machine for a relative that has xp home edition. Her
    > account is an administrator account but by habit I wanted to log on as
    > 'the'
    > local administrator account. I know in xp you can hit ctrl+alt+del and
    > then
    > log in as administrator so I did that on this machine and tried a blank
    > password.. I figured that would do it since this is a preinstall from
    > dell... I got a message the the policy would not allow me to log in. Note
    > it
    > did not say the username or password were incorrect.. anyway, I noticed
    > the
    > familiar user manager was not there as it is in xp pro. I wanted to reset
    > the password on the admin account to verify the failure to log in was not
    > due to a bad password. So, then, since thats not an option how do I get
    > the
    > administrator account to show up in the control panel's user section? I
    > want
    > to reset the password for the local administrator account. AND, assuming
    > that does not fix the issue how do I change whatever is preventing me from
    > logging on as the local administrator? I did not see the familiar 'local
    > security policy' as I do in xp pro. Obviously I don't use home edition
    > much.
    >
    > any info is greatly appreciated.

    will do. Thank you.

    "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    message news:u6kqNKuiEHA.2688@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    > You need to use the Machine's hidden admin account. To do this in Home
    > Edition, you need to log into Safe Mode as the machine admin. Usually,
    you
    > will see a user at Safe Mode designated as Administrator, that's the
    hidden
    > account, select it, leave the password blank and press enter. On machines
    > that came with XP factory installed, they usually don't create a password
    > for this account and most users who install XP don't either...though they
    > should. Nonetheless, leaving it blank should get you in and allow you to
    do
    > as you wish.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    > Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    > DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >
    > "djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >I am working on a machine for a relative that has xp home edition. Her
    > > account is an administrator account but by habit I wanted to log on as
    > > 'the'
    > > local administrator account. I know in xp you can hit ctrl+alt+del and
    > > then
    > > log in as administrator so I did that on this machine and tried a blank
    > > password.. I figured that would do it since this is a preinstall from
    > > dell... I got a message the the policy would not allow me to log in.
    Note
    > > it
    > > did not say the username or password were incorrect.. anyway, I noticed
    > > the
    > > familiar user manager was not there as it is in xp pro. I wanted to
    reset
    > > the password on the admin account to verify the failure to log in was
    not
    > > due to a bad password. So, then, since thats not an option how do I get
    > > the
    > > administrator account to show up in the control panel's user section? I
    > > want
    > > to reset the password for the local administrator account. AND, assuming
    > > that does not fix the issue how do I change whatever is preventing me
    from
    > > logging on as the local administrator? I did not see the familiar 'local
    > > security policy' as I do in xp pro. Obviously I don't use home edition
    > > much.
    > >
    > > any info is greatly appreciated.

    You're welcome.

    --

    > will do. Thank you.
    >
    > "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP Windows Shell/User)" <user@#notme.com> wrote in
    > message news:u6kqNKuiEHA.2688@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    >> You need to use the Machine's hidden admin account. To do this in Home
    >> Edition, you need to log into Safe Mode as the machine admin. Usually,
    > you
    >> will see a user at Safe Mode designated as Administrator, that's the
    > hidden
    >> account, select it, leave the password blank and press enter. On
    >> machines
    >> that came with XP factory installed, they usually don't create a password
    >> for this account and most users who install XP don't either...though they
    >> should. Nonetheless, leaving it blank should get you in and allow you to
    > do
    >> as you wish.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    >> Windows Shell/User
    >> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
    >> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
    >>
    >> "djc" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am working on a machine for a relative that has xp home edition. Her
    >> > account is an administrator account but by habit I wanted to log on as
    >> > 'the'
    >> > local administrator account. I know in xp you can hit ctrl+alt+del and
    >> > then
    >> > log in as administrator so I did that on this machine and tried a blank
    >> > password.. I figured that would do it since this is a preinstall from
    >> > dell... I got a message the the policy would not allow me to log in.
    > Note
    >> > it
    >> > did not say the username or password were incorrect.. anyway, I noticed
    >> > the
    >> > familiar user manager was not there as it is in xp pro. I wanted to
    > reset
    >> > the password on the admin account to verify the failure to log in was
    > not
    >> > due to a bad password. So, then, since thats not an option how do I get
    >> > the
    >> > administrator account to show up in the control panel's user section? I
    >> > want
    >> > to reset the password for the local administrator account. AND,
    >> > assuming
    >> > that does not fix the issue how do I change whatever is preventing me
    > from
    >> > logging on as the local administrator? I did not see the familiar
    >> > 'local
    >> > security policy' as I do in xp pro. Obviously I don't use home edition
    >> > much.
    >> >
    >> > any info is greatly appreciated.

Configuration Windows XP