Sign in with
Your question

XP installed on pata hard disk does not detect sata 2nd hard disk

Last response: in Storage
September 10, 2011 9:23:28 AM

I was running WINDOWS XP PRO SP3 on a Seagate Barracuda 80 GB PATA hard disk so far. Now I added a new SATA hard disk - Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB AND a new Motherboard - Asus M4N68T-M LE V2. Ram - 2x2GB. XP can not detect the new drive from PATA INSTALLMENT although when installed on the new drive, it works fine. Also, Win 7 installed on any of the drives works flawlessly. How can I make the XP on PATA old disk recognize the new hard disk?
a b G Storage
September 10, 2011 11:59:42 AM

Go to the Asus and download and install their chipset driver.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 10, 2011 12:42:52 PM

If you have the SATA disk set AHCI mode, XP does not contain native SATA drivers that support AHCI modes.
You have 2 choices.
1. Set the SATA controller to "Native or IDE Mode" in the BIOS. This will not allow you to use some of the advanced features of an SATA drive, like hot swapping drives, but it will allow XP to work with the drive without installing SATA drivers.
2. Download and install the SATA driver package for XP from ASUS as the above post suggests.
m
l
September 11, 2011 4:43:08 PM

Thanks to both of you for suggesting the right course of action. I downloaded the NVIDIA_Chipset_v1556_WinXP32 drivers from www.Asus.com. I then enabled the Raid function in the BIOS which was disabled previously. After installation of the driver, XP detected the new drive and everything was smooth now. The problem is solved.
m
l
!