Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New system worked fine for 5 hours...then post errors!

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2009 3:01:05 PM

I've read the stickies, my problem doesn't seem to be covered in them.

I just built a new system and had it up and running fine for a good 5 hours or so, then while installing my DVD drive software and uninstalling the DVD "PowerDVD" program it had just installed (doubt this could be the culprit, but this was what I was doing when it occurred), I got a BSD and now every attempt to start up the machine gives me continuous long beeps. The BSD said something about an error with graphics drivers. According to my mobo manual, continuous long beeps means the GPU is not seated properly. My GPU is integrated ;)  I have tried using a PCI-E GPU also, tried removing the second stick of memory, and everything inside my machine seems to be seated properly. The system is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500)

Antec earthwatts EA380 380W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.0 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

7200 RPM 80GB HDD from the old Dell this replaced.
DVD/RW Drive purchased at a local parts store.

Running Windows XP and not much else at the time of the crash...had just finished formatting and loading windows onto the drive a few hours prior.

The case was sealed up and everything running just fine for at least 5 hours before the BSD+post failures. No OCing was done.

Any suggestions?

(This problem has been fixed. Bad ram chip + incorrect mobo manual) New issue was explained by False_dmitry_ below
October 24, 2009 4:14:35 PM

Can you give us the error # for the blue screen (of doom) as well as any other errors? Could be quite a few things.
m
l
October 25, 2009 2:52:17 AM

Unfortunately no. I cannot re-create the blue screen since the computer won't do anything now but give post errors.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2009 3:21:08 AM

can you get the system to load under safe mode
m
l
October 25, 2009 7:49:22 AM

marco324 said:
can you get the system to load under safe mode

No I couldn't because nothing happened when I turned on my machine other than the continuous long post beeps. However, I found out that my mobo manual wasn't correct because when I tried every memory configuration I could, I finally got the thing to boot up properly. One of my chips is bad. Nothing at all wrong with my GPU. And even if I mistook long beeps for short ones, short beeps means power failure. Darned manual ><

...now to figure out if continuing to mess with my old version of Windows XP from the old Dell is worth the trouble (Dell recovery disc). Lots of blue screens (generic text with no actual error codes) and apparently the Windows Updater is problematic. On top of all that I somehow managed to get that OLD issue from XP/Win2000 that would repeatedly give you 59 seconds before shutting down =( If I can't figure out the remedy for that thing I guess I'll just buy Win7.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2009 8:33:20 AM

A restore disc would be restoring the drivers as well. This would be problematic obviously. Find a unmodified XP pro or home disc (whatever the license was for) and use that to install and just use the code. One word of warning though, I tried using a XP home SP3 with some old codes I had and apparently they phased out the ability to see them, so you should try with older SP's if that happens.

Of course, if you're relying on the restore disc for the code I think that plan of attack is SOL. (unless it works well enough for you to run one of those key finder things. I used one to find out that the code on my vista laptop isn't the same as the code on the sticker of that laptop...)
October 25, 2009 9:43:28 AM

Yeah, I'm honestly hoping this is the problem for me right now (it makes sense if it is) so simply buying a retail OS should fix it for me. After all, it appears I have no problems with the hardware itself after identifying the bad memory chip. I need to change out my main system with Win7 (using beta atm) anyway, really hoping that if it DOESN'T fix this new computer I can still use the Win7 OS and code with my i7 system =( I guess i'll see.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2009 4:08:36 PM

You could also just try Ubuntu linux, that should show you working hardware as proof-of-concept working parts.
m
l
!