Sign in with
Your question

2500K Prime95 Temps shooting up way too fast?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 19, 2012 5:43:22 PM

I have my 2500K OC'd at 4.4GHz but that's not really important as within seconds of starting Prime95 (blend test) my temps shoot up from ~30C to ~90C and my multiplier changes from x44 to 35-37x and keeps dropping.

Any idea what's going on here? I don't imagine temps can go up that fast can they?

edit: After ending the Prime95 test temps drop INSTANTLY (well 2-3 seconds) down to ~30C again. Weird?

More about : 2500k prime95 temps shooting fast

February 19, 2012 6:02:57 PM

inihility said:
I have my 2500K OC'd at 4.4GHz but that's not really important as within seconds of starting Prime95 (blend test) my temps shoot up from ~30C to ~90C and my multiplier changes from x44 to 35-37x and keeps dropping.

Any idea what's going on here? I don't imagine temps can go up that fast can they?

edit: After ending the Prime95 test temps drop INSTANTLY (well 2-3 seconds) down to ~30C again. Weird?

What cooler are you using? Thermal paste? Fans? Etc
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:15:28 PM

CM Hyper 212 EVO

And whatever came in stock for the CM SGC-1000 case.

I'm not going against the fact that it can rise to high temps, the real mystery here is how the readers claim it rises from ~30C to 90C in less than 5 seconds when I run Prime95 (blend test), and goes straight back to ~30C when I stop the test.

edit: What I really want to know is what's going on, are the readers inaccurate? Why is it happening? Because I noticed that my multiplier gets throttled during a Prime95 run because of this.
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:18:53 PM

inihility said:
CM Hyper 212 EVO

And whatever came in stock for the CM SGC-1000 case.

I'm not going against the fact that it can rise to high temps, the real mystery here is how the readers claim it rises from ~30C to 90C in less than 5 seconds when I run Prime95 (blend test), and goes straight back to ~30C when I stop the test.

edit: What I really want to know is what's going on, are the readers inaccurate? Why is it happening? Because I noticed that my multiplier gets throttled during a Prime95 run because of this.

90 is WAY too high! Check the seating of your cooler and maybe reapply thermal paste. As for the huge jumps instantly, yeah that's what happens. If you didn't have a cooler (I mean, just the cpu, nothing on it), jumps from 30 to 90 is what you could expect to see and they'd be fast.
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:23:00 PM

Hobo82 said:
90 is WAY too high! Check the seating of your cooler and maybe reapply thermal paste. As for the huge jumps instantly, yeah that's what happens. If you didn't have a cooler (I mean, just the cpu, nothing on it), jumps from 30 to 90 is what you could expect to see and they'd be fast.

Oh it's a bit comforting to know that they are normal, but is it for sure that the problem is that the cooler is not seated properly?

If it's any help when I'm running Team Fortress 2 on max settings temps are shown at low ~50C.
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:25:09 PM

Team Fortress isn't going to stress it like Prime will. And no . . . IT'S NOT NORMAL to see 90 degrees when you start a stress test! Something is definitely wrong.

Your cooler MAY be the problem, and reseating it and reapplying thermal paste will sort it out if it is indeed the problem, but it could be something else too. Cooler is just the easiest place to start
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:28:06 PM

Hobo82 said:
Team Fortress isn't going to stress it like Prime will. And no . . . IT'S NOT NORMAL to see 90 degrees when you start a stress test! Something is definitely wrong.

Your cooler MAY be the problem, and reseating it and reapplying thermal paste will sort it out if it is indeed the problem, but it could be something else too. Cooler is just the easiest place to start

I didn't mean that 90C is normal, I was referring to the temps jumping so quickly :p 

I will try checking the cooler and report back as soon as I can.
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:46:22 PM

Cooler seems to be seated properly, so what else might be the problem? What's curious is that temps drop just as fast as they rise when I stop/start running a stress test.
m
l
February 19, 2012 6:49:48 PM

What thermal paste are you using?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2012 6:53:29 PM

Did you modify the heat sink in any way?

m
l
February 19, 2012 7:08:38 PM

@Hobo82

The one that came with the 212.

@Z1NONLY

I didn't modify it in any way.

If the cooler is responsible, would it cause such a high temp? 90C under load at 4.4GHz?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2012 7:16:07 PM

How long did you run Prime 95? If you shut it down immediately after it reached 90C you need to watch it a bit longer. But the CPU throttling back is a bit of a problem, isn't it?
I take about 15 min or so for my 2500K to reach above 80C with a CM212 but it settles back down to 75C after a few minutes as the heat sink absorbs more heat.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 20, 2012 12:56:53 AM

That immediate temp rise is normal.

My temps in RealTemp shoot up as soon as I hit 'Run'. And it drop just as quickly - temps immediately drop down to a little above normal idle.

90C is not normal nor is the drop in clock speed.
m
l
!