Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Different ATX Mobo widths

Last response: in Motherboards
April 19, 2010 7:32:50 AM

Hi guys. I can't think of what to search specifically to find the answer to my question.. so I'll put in a post about it.

I know about form factors (ATX) etc.. but, I notice some motherboards have different width sizes.
For instance, this motherboard is 30.5x24.4cm while this one is 30.5x22.9cm.
Will both of these motherboards line up perfectly in a case? Despite them being slightly different sizes?

Specifically, if anyone (surprisingly) knows, I'm wondering whether the latter (Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H) will fit in a CM 690 II Advanced. I just really need to be sure.

also, as a side note, I keep clicking ok and it asks me to register as usual, but if accidentally exiting the register box the submit etc buttons are gone. Just a bit annoying :ange: 

Thanks!

More about : atx mobo widths

a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 7:58:54 AM

yes, they will still fit.

some board manufacturers make slightly smaller boards to reduce costs (just like my gigabyte board). all the screw holes will still match up to the backplate though, you will simply have some just off the edge that wont be covered by the mobo.

it looks a little weird sometimes though. my video card actually extends beyond the limit of my mobo :lol: 

i have an old pic of my rig here:

its before i upgraded my GPU, but you can just about make out the little bronzed screw holes next to the mobo, where normally it would screw in place. with the mobo being slightly shorter though, it doesnt need to use them.
April 19, 2010 8:35:34 AM

Ah, Ok, that solves the general question. Thanks!

The looks aren't really a problem for me anyway, as long as it all functions great. Nice rig :) 
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 8:42:51 AM

no problem.

my rig looks much better these days. better wiring job, lol.

good luck with your build though. don't hesitate to ask if you need any more info :) 
April 19, 2010 9:04:37 AM

Will do - it's my first build after 5 years with a laptop, want to make sure everything works! - and don't worry, I have no idea what defines a tidy or untidy case :p 
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 9:13:40 AM

r4zorlive said:
Will do - it's my first build after 5 years with a laptop, want to make sure everything works! - and don't worry, I have no idea what defines a tidy or untidy case :p 

lol, i was in the same circumstance when i built this rig. after using a netbook for so long the jump to a proper PC was awesome.
April 19, 2010 9:29:42 AM

I bet it was.. it will certainly be great for me, to from 64mb of integrated intel vram to a 1gb 5770. ;) 
a b V Motherboard
April 19, 2010 9:34:19 AM

sounds very nice. hope you enjoy it.
April 19, 2010 7:28:15 PM

In case your wondering about the Cooler Master 690 II Advanced, I recently purchased one of these and a Rampage II Extreme. The Rampage II Extreme is 25.4mm larger then standard ATX and placing this in the 690 II was no different then installing a standard ATX as there is ample room. It appears that you are looking at a slightly smaller board and thus you will have no problems installing the board in this case.
April 20, 2010 6:09:03 AM

Great, thanks for both of your help again!
May 19, 2010 7:12:17 AM

The motherboard fitted fine into the case except for one motherboard riser on the right. This means it has no support for nearly 1/3 of the board, is this a problem? I made sure to plug the power in while holding the side.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 19, 2010 8:44:11 AM

r4zorlive said:
The motherboard fitted fine into the case except for one motherboard riser on the right. This means it has no support for nearly 1/3 of the board, is this a problem? I made sure to plug the power in while holding the side.

That board has only one mounting hole on the far right. Its no problem, but make sure you don't have any extra standoffs that might short the board.
June 5, 2010 2:24:53 AM

Best answer selected by r4zorlive.
!