Sign in with
Your question

Three monitor setup for gaming using two 3870's in xfire.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2009 12:18:38 PM

I need an exact answer. I have a mega rig that I built. I have a DFI X48 mobo with two pci-e x16 2.0 slots with two ati hd 3870 video cards enabled in crossfire. My question is, I want to play games on three monitors (1 28 inch hanns g in the middle and 2 25 inch hanns g on both sides) I haven't purchased the 2 25 inch monitors yet, I want to know if I can play on all three monitors at the same time running in crossfire or not and if I can't run them in crossfire, will all three monitors resolution look good without crossfire enabled. All I want to do is game using all three monitors at the same time with the setup I have. Please help!
November 3, 2009 12:27:26 PM

You can not use more than 2 displays with crossfire on those cards. With the 5000 series you will soon be able to do that (up to 6, maybe more) when they update the drivers for eyefinity for CF.

However, with that setup you can get something like this and game across up to three displays:

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/
m
l
November 3, 2009 12:36:15 PM

Even if it's not in crossfire, I still can't game across all three monitors without this triplehead2go adapter.
m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2009 12:57:52 PM

There is a software fix too, SoftTH, than works similar as Triplehead2go (although not as well and more complicated)

The problem you have here is 2 fold. You're running the 3870s, which are currently 2 generations behind, while gaming on 3 monitors which the size makes me assume you would like to game at 1920*1200 apiece ??

The higher the resolution, the harder it will be to push any good games with those cards.

I would recommend trying SoftTH for free, if it works for you, great, if not, it doesn't cost anything.

IMHO though, you are probably going to want to stick with the 28" monitor for gaming until you have a new 5XXX series card that supports Eyefinity.

In summary, NO, you can't use 3 monitors with CrossfireX enabled, YES you can use games without triplehead2go but not easily.
m
l
November 3, 2009 7:11:04 PM

Thanks for your help. One more question, can I just have one 5850 or 5870 card and have all three monitors connected to the card to game on all three monitors?
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2009 7:35:12 PM

yes.

edit: make sure one of your montiors has DisplayPort, if none of them have it then you will need to buy an additional Displayport-to-DVI active adapter which will cost you another ~$100.
m
l
November 4, 2009 12:41:38 AM

Thank you all for answering my concerns. I will get this up and running one day, i'm determined. Thanks again.
m
l
!