guitargary25

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011
Hello, this is my first post, i don't know much about computers... My question is, I have a HP Slimline s5510f i bought about a year ago. Is it possible to take the hard drive i have with windows 7 already on it and import/transfer it to another Motherboard with new CPU. I was thinking of going with i5-2400 CPU/ and ASUS P8H67-V (REV 3.0) Motherboard.. I already have the tower and would probably upgrade the power supply, fan and ram. I just don't want to re-purchase the Windows 7 if i don't have to.

Thanks
Gary

Sorry if i posted in the incorrect area, I couldn't really find a Thread category that fit i guess.

Welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums!

If you have the "Retail" version of Win 7 you can do what you described.

However, if you have the OEM version installed by the computer manufacturer, technically you cannot transfer the licence from one computer to another.

guitargary25

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2011

cool thanks, I found out i have the OEM version from HP, the customer support rep said all HP's ship with OEM.. doh!!

Three of mine are Dell with OEM factory installed OS. And the fourth is a home built with Win 7 64-bit OEM.

None of my OS are transferable to any other computer.

Even my Dell computers OS cannot be transferred among them (from one to the other).

With the more expensive 'Retail' version it is a different story. Retail Windows OS can be uninstalled and transferred from one computer to another. No problems as long as it is running on only ONE computer.