OCing 2500k problems

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Im trying to OC the i5 2500k on a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 and When I set the multipliers and all my settings I save and exit the bios. After that I boot into Windows. I cannot seem to get my OC's to show up in Speedfan or anything. Can someone please help me determine what I might be doing wrong? Thanks!

Solution

You probably have intel C state and EIST enabled for throttling and power saving, run prime95 and you will see your overclock. Prime95, Coretemp, Realtemp, and CPUID are essentials. Essentially leave them on and auto vcore, then adjust the offset voltages according to your overclock. If you want a permanent OC you should not be pushing more than 1.36v at load 24-7 a 4ghz OC load should run off a 1.25~7 vcore easily...

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
When you adjust the multiplier to 4 did you also adjust the cpu vCore? Don't go above 1.375V. BTW are you using an aftermarket cpu cooler(air/liquid)? You shouldn't be oc'ing if you are using the stock cooler that came with the CPU or you might fry the motherboard and CPU.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

I have a Hyper 212. Maybe I should have mentioned that the problem isn't me, I've checked settings numerous times.and I know what I'm doing.

G

Stress your cpu with prime95 and check the clock. Depending on your settings, your CPU only reaches your OC speed under stress. Otherwise it idles on 1.6ghz.

G

Why not? It is not that difficult and I personally recommend doing it.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Why not? It is not that difficult and I personally recommend doing it.
Why not? Do I really have to write a list of all the things that can happen even if the flashing was done correctly on my part? Bios flashing is risky business and I'm sure we all know this.

G

1) Its not really that risky anymore with dual bios.
2) "Do I really have to write a list of all the things that can happen even if the flashing was done correctly on my part?"
I'm not sure what you're talking about honestly.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
1) Its not really that risky anymore with dual bios.
2) "Do I really have to write a list of all the things that can happen even if the flashing was done correctly on my part?"
I'm not sure what you're talking about honestly.
I was referring to the things that can happen outside of my control such as files not being properly copied and an assortment of other things. I do have dual bios which you have mentioned and I still do not wish to flash. I contacted Gigabyte and am awaiting their reply. If they recommend flashing I will do it otherwise I wont. End of argument.

You probably have intel C state and EIST enabled for throttling and power saving, run prime95 and you will see your overclock. Prime95, Coretemp, Realtemp, and CPUID are essentials. Essentially leave them on and auto vcore, then adjust the offset voltages according to your overclock. If you want a permanent OC you should not be pushing more than 1.36v at load 24-7 a 4ghz OC load should run off a 1.25~7 vcore easily, just offset the difference which will run the load and idle vcore lower.

Solution
G

Thats what I thought to do but under load it is still not at the correct speed according to the op.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Yes, I did, I corrected the issues and now my CPU OC is working correctly, I can see the results in CPU-Z. It's a wonder what you can find out if you do simple troubleshooting steps instead of jumping to something such as flashing your BIOS. Thank you.

G

>.> my first post was EXACTLY what he said. I'm not sure what you did different from his and mine. I'm sorry about the bios thing but the reason I came to that conclusions was that if your cpu speed under load did not go up according to what you said it meant that C-state and E1St were not the issues. Under load the speed will definately go up from an idle speed of 1.6ghz to the set 4ghz if C-state and E1St is enabled. I recommend setting these two settings on because they save power and they do not affect cpu stability or speed.

nityking1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
>.> my first post was EXACTLY what he said. I'm not sure what you did different from his and mine. I'm sorry about the bios thing but the reason I came to that conclusions was that if your cpu speed under load did not go up according to what you said it meant that C-state and E1St were not the issues. Under load the speed will definately go up from an idle speed of 1.6ghz to the set 4ghz if C-state and E1St is enabled. I recommend setting these two settings on because they save power and they do not affect cpu stability or speed.
Sorry man I made a mistake too. I didn't have the CPU under load and I apoligize for being a total douchebag.