PC Turns Off Automatically during Bootup

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Help (please),
My sons AMD PC has been running without problems for about 1 year, now. No changes to the hardware have been made. Now, when I turn it ON, it turns back OFF, sometimes in seconds for maybe after 2 minutes. I removed power cable from all none essential drives and just connect display, keyboard, and mouse. But it still turns back OFF and will not stay ON. I swapped power supplies but it still happens. I removed the graphics card and it still turns back OFF. I even replaced the graphics card but no effect. I will try to remove a memory stick and see if than is causing my problem. Anyother ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for you time,
Kevin

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
The power supply was brand new BFG Tech 500w to replace the Thermaltake 500w in the PC. I removed the motherboard and cleaned all the dust off, now re-assemibling....I didn't try to clear CMOS. When it does stay on for a minute or so, the bootup process looks normal.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Could be a CPU temp issue. Is the CPU Heatsink filled with dust??? Try blowing it out with a can of air. Also could be the Thermal Interface Material, you could remove the Heatsink, clean the old TIM from the HS and CPU with alcohol. Reapply some fresh TIM and reinstall the HS.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Ya beat me by 2 minutes. Since you just cleaned all the dust off, reassemble and see if that helped first.

Sometimes a teardown and cleaning fixes some issues. Having all the plugs and cards reseated sometimes eliminates connection issues.

Have you ever faced this problem with a PC running fine for a whole year? The answer is no. If something related to temperature issues due to a Heat Sink occurs, it generally happens in the first 3 minutes of use.

It's not a power supply problems since the 2 power supplies are giving the same result.

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
thanks for the help and ideas,
The motherboard is a EVGA 133-K8-NF41 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard. I will let you know what happens when I get it all back togther and yes, I will clean with alcohol and re-apply heatsink material.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

Yes I HAVE had this issue with a few computers in the past.

Especially with laptops but also desktops. Depending on the environment it's in (how dusty, pets) the heatsink will finally exceed it's ability to disapate the heat generated by the CPU. It's also related partly to the CPU, as any givin CPU will tolerate it's maximum temp before it shuts down or just crashes the computer.

And yes, it could be the MB. It could be the RAM going bad. It could be the PSU dieing.

The OP wanted options, and unless you happen to have a second MB around to test with, you need WORKABLE options. Not just it's a bad motherboard, go buy a new one.......

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
well, I found a new motherboard with same AMD 939 socket and identical chipset. I replaced the motherboard with is new one, and I still have the extact same problem. The PC turns OFF in 10 to 30 seconds. I removed all non-essential item, DVD, HD, etc... from MB, only CPU FAN and CPU and Memory. Still turns OFF, this is a new power supply and I have tried different memory modules, and different CPU cooling fan configuration and still no go. The only think I have not replaced in Case or CPU, so I guess this could be CPU problem...strange it would run and start bootup process if CPU was going bad???? Its just a AMD X2 CPU, so I shouldn't cost to much to replace. I will wait a few days before ordering its, in hopes this forum could help me. Again all replies will be greatly appriciated. Kevin

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
939 socket x2's arevery expensive since they are discontinued. They go on ebay for quite a bit. You could try RAM in different slots in different numbers of sticks. It could be the CPU or the RAM at this point. (unless of course the mobo you got is no good.) I'd say it could also be the case itself, try breadboarding while you try the other stuff.

And by that kind of CPU's being alot I mean 100+. Or you could get a single core for like 10-30 bucks. Though that would be almost only for testing purposes. Might be better to just go for a Athlon II to replace, though you'd have to get RAM and a AM2+/AM3 mobo. Part out the rest on ebay with a disclaimer on apparently the CPU especially.

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Thanks Apprentice,
I just tried different memory slots with different modules, even tried no memory, but PC still turns OFF.

Pricewatch web site list AMD X2 6000+ for around $55, I think mine is a 5000+ which lists around $67.

I will remove the setup from the MB and see if that helps, at least is should be easy to do.

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Well, these MBs are socket 939, the new one is a TYAN S2865 Tomcat K8E S939, I always thought the AMD X2 it daul core, same as what some people call AMD2? Guess I'm confussed.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
x2 only means dual core, doesn't say anything about socket. AMD2 does not exist, either that it's some nice and confusing shorthand for you. Socket AM2 is what they did after Socket 939. They WILL NOT work together. Wikipedia socket 939 and socket AM2.

I said to go with a Athlon II x2, because those cost about as much as the normal Athlon x2's that are still out, but are faster clock-for-clock. If you get a AM2+/AM3 board you can run both anyway. Or go full AM3, doesn't really matter.

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
ok, my confussion, thanks for clearing it up, the stand alone system (without chase) still turned off, so the only left seems to be CPU. I hate wasting the money on power supply and MB, but thats what can happen....thanks for the advice

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Apprentice, ok, I removed the CPU and the power supply has been running for several mintues, and new worlds record for me, so I think the CPU is bad. Now here is the specs on the old, bad, removed CPU.
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Details
Processor AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core
Model 4400+
Ordering P/N (Tray) ADA4400DAA6CD
Ordering P/N (PIB) ADA4400CDBOX
Operating Mode 32/64
Stepping E6
Frequency 2200Mhz
HT Speed 2000
Voltage 1.30V1.35V
Max Temp 49-65°C
Thermal Power 110W
L1 Cache 128KB x2
L2 Cache 2MB
CMOS Technology 90nm SOI
Socket Socket 939

My new MB is a TYAN S2865 Tomcat K8E S939. Like you mentioned in other replys, my CPU is expensive. You mentioned there is a bettter and cheaper CPU that will work, can you please advise me?

Thanks again and I greatly appreciate the support.
Kevin

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Sure.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+1051746439&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Any of these. (well except the single core). And get either a fully AM3 motherboard which will require you to get DDR3 RAM, or get a AM2+ motherboard (with AMD/ATI 770 chipset or higher) and DDR2 RAM. Right this second you'd probably be better off with the DDR3 cause RAM prices seem to have shot up dramatically on DDR2.

Then I'd say sell the parts you don't need and obviously would be fine, or go ahead and buy a couple of socket 939 single cores off of ebay, (since these are dirt cheap) and find a use for them. I still know people that use stuff far older than something like that as their main comps.

Depending on what your comp is you may want to build something for yourself and give him what yours is.

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
Problem solved, the CPU did die, I replaced it with a slower AMD dual core, but imporved the video card so I don't think son will notice the difference, thanks again for all the advice.
Kevin

paticpatic

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I'm up and running, the CPU was bad, I bought a AMD X2 and a little slower clock rate so I could afford it.....my son is playing his games again.. and is very happy, thanks for all the help