Manual Restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

nopans

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
When I manually restart or when Windows asks me to restart my computer it will go thru the sequence of shutting down for the restart and then once it is supposed to restart, it just sets there in limbo. The fans and everything are running but there is no HDD activity.
I can restart it by pushing the reset button on my case but I would prefer to know why Windows will not do it by itself.
Can anyone shed any light on this problem? Any help would be great.

Solution
Could be a motherboard issue. First make sure all of your drivers are updated including the chipset drivers, make sure Windows updates are done. Check the event log in Windows to see if any programs are hung up, you'd see crash messages in there. If you don't see anything bad in there, try a BIOS update.

After that you can either try to fully re-install Windows and see if that clears things up, or try a motherboard and/or a power supply replacement.
Could be a motherboard issue. First make sure all of your drivers are updated including the chipset drivers, make sure Windows updates are done. Check the event log in Windows to see if any programs are hung up, you'd see crash messages in there. If you don't see anything bad in there, try a BIOS update.

After that you can either try to fully re-install Windows and see if that clears things up, or try a motherboard and/or a power supply replacement.

Solution

nopans

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Thanks for your response.

I was going to update the BIOS so I reset everything to "Optimum Defaults" and exited the BIOS. Low and behold, it restarted on it's own.

I had been running with the BIO Unlocking or ACC enabled on my motherboard to utilize the 4th core of my CPU. Once it was disabled, the restart was back to normal. Don't rightly know why that would affect it but it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.