I3 540 or a q8200

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
If you don't already have a LGA775 board, i suggest the 540. With hyperthreading, higher stock clock, and better clock for clock performance, it should perform at least as well as the Q8200. Even if you do have an LGA775 board, I still wouldn't necessarily recommend the Q8200.

well i have the board and i can get the processor dirt cheap like almost free i was just thinking of maybe selling the lga775 stuff and maybe going into an i3 or an i5 but i really dont have money rite now so just want my games i play to go smoother

AMW1011

Distinguished
The Q8200 is fine when clocked to 3.2 GHz+.

That said if you were to sell and get something else, a decent AM3 board and an Athlon II X4 620 or Phenom II X4 925 would outperform both and cost less than the i5 540.

Under no circumstances should you get the i5 540, though, in today's day your should get quad when paying more than $80.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I don't know what the above posters are SMOKING but they are OUT OF THEIR MINDS if they think a crappy q8200 would be better than the new 32nm i3.... This is the worst advice thread EVER.

Listen bro, i3 clock for clock smokes the q8200.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Dude, just read it.

The OP can get the Q8200 for cheap or almost free and not have to upgrade the RAM or mobo.

well i have the board and i can get the processor dirt cheap like almost free i was just thinking of maybe selling the lga775 stuff and maybe going into an i3 or an i5 but i really dont have money rite now so just want my games i play to go smoother

If he had to spend money then we recommended an Athlon II X4 620 or Phenom II X4 925 instead.

werxen

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

That is not the point. Two posters BEFORE the OP posted saying he has the board suggested the q8200.... even PSYCHO suggested it... Seriously sometimes I think a handful of you taking friggin CRAZY pills or are just plain jane RETARDED when it comes to simple questions.

Yo OP, listen to me, ok? For moderate gaming or ANY kind of gaming the i3 will smash the piss out of the q8200, bottom line. q8200 will NEVER win a gaming benchmark vs. the i3 for many reasons. Simply put, the i3 can not only overclock a HELL of a lot further, the i3 is also 32nm making it clock for clock faster than the q8200. Simply put let us say the i3 is at 3.00 and the q8200 is at 3.00. The i3 will perform ~ 20% faster even though they are the same frequency. I am not even going into ARCHETECTURE here fellas.

i3 > q8200 and STOP SMOKING CRACK TOMS.

i can get the q8200 for 40 bux from a buddy i plan on overclocking it to atleast 3.4 hopefully more if i can im putting it on a asus board with 4 gigs of ddr2 800 ram with a hd4670 gfx card. Unless i could sell my board and the q8200 for more then 160 its not economically possible for me to get better. To go with the i3 540 im looking at spending atleast 240 so i guess im gonna stick with the q8200 plan hopefully with some overclocking i will be happy with it.

speedbird

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2007
The Q8200 because you will have a Quad Core and it will be the cheaper route. Games using Quad Core is rising, so the benefits are clear. The pricing on the i3 makes little sense anyway for a Dual core and the extra for the i5 would seem worth it to me, If I was to change platform completely.

iSMD

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
i know youve prolly made your mind up an did it but i have a q8200 that i run at stock speed that i bought from dell, its a 530 inspiron with 4 gb ddr2 800, 500 gb wd, 9800 gt 1gb, an the thing runs everything at 1280x960 flawlessly, an my hard drive isnt the best, its cluttered with *** everywhere an it runs everything ive thrown at it on high settings, i have no complaints, an thats not even overclocked! this is all at stock dude!! so i dont see why your machine couldnt game well, the most recent ive played on here are these: bad company 2 (completed), mass effect 2 (completed), bioshock 2, dirt 2, codmw1 +2 (completed), shift, grid, ghostbusters (completed), an many others so as you can see ive played thru some of the most demanding games of recent without a hitch an thats without overclocking!! now ive read that its just to difficult an risky to try to *** with these q8200s, so im just thinking of, an oh yeah this is on Vista 64bit! garbage!!, putting on 7 an doubling the RAM, but if you guys know a good way to overclock without having to buy anything im ears but to me, its all in the video card, as long as your video card can keep up with the data being thrown at it, processing it an then getting it off of it are equal, youll never be held up, thus running smooth. an 4 gbs of ram seem to be a healthy amount to have multiple programs running an ***. OK heres a scenario, i wanted to show off my cpu to my boy so i was playing codmw2 an paused the game, mind you i was in a mission to, alt tabd it an got up the desktop, then hit cntrl alt delt, brought up task manager an looked at the performance, an no lie dude this thing was only at 50-60 usage an running everything fine, like i mean fine by responsive nothing waiting on anything all doing there job, an i only have 1 hard drive doing all this!! an i only have 50 gigs free an i d/l movies like its my job lol. so its clutter fucked an ive never run a defragmenter on it an only started recently using windows essentials an ditched mcaffe after uninstalling it for free comcast nortons an hating what it did to my machine so figured id stick with windows own *** an it runs great an actually detects an gets rid of viruses, imagine that lol.

so since i typed like a child with no grammar, my point was my shits stock an the lowest q you can buy an with the right video card, an only one mind you, it runs awesome, just like xbox, an im interested in finding maybe a way to overclock but like i said i have no money to add cooling, psupplies, *** like that.

-- Vista 64, Q8200, 4 gb ddr2 800, 500 gb wd, 9800 GT 1gb

PS: pretty basic but i thought of the xbox when i wanted to buy so id know itd run the games i want to play. an also i paid 530 for the cpu delivered to my house, an then got the video card from newegg for 115, so total 645 for a stable, stout rig.

TRENDING THREADS