Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which card should I buy: HD4870 X2 2gb or HD5770?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 3, 2009 4:51:49 PM

Good evening, it's time to upgrade my old X1800. Im having to choose between the HD4870 X2 2GB or the new dirextX11 HD5770. Would love to read your thoughts. Regards

More about : card buy hd4870 2gb hd5770

a c 169 U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 5:09:33 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
4870X2 performs like a 5870(it beats it in some games and loses in some others) so it performs better than HD 5770
November 3, 2009 5:11:43 PM

so we think you mean the 5870...
you should get the 5870, just because of the dx 11 so it's a little more future proof
but if your using 3 screens, the 2gb's might just be useful...
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 6:36:28 PM

5870 , if thats what you meant .
a c 147 U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 6:44:31 PM

I hope you mean a 5870 as well.. Trust me get it. I got it, and you should to. They run nice and cool and idle very at very low power use.
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 3, 2009 7:44:00 PM

If the OP meant 5870 then i vote for 5870 as well because of newer technologies compared to 4870X2
November 3, 2009 8:12:25 PM

If money is a factor at all, I suggest going for a HD 5850 over the 5870.
November 4, 2009 5:35:23 AM

TYCOON said:
Good evening, it's time to upgrade my old X1800. Im having to choose between the HD4870 X2 2GB or the new dirextX11 HD5770. Would love to read your thoughts. Regards


Hello, wow thanks for all the replies. That was indeed a typo, I'm indeed talking about the 5870.

I must say I'm rather surprised that non of you chose the HD4870 X2 2GB, but hey that's why I ask you !!! Im only using one monitor, I mention that because it seems that the 2GB is only really usefull for multiple monitors, is that correct ?

One more thing, the price difference here between the 5850 and 5870 is about double. Is it really worth paying double? Also, ATI 5850/5870 or nVidia GTX 285/295, whats the ultimate pick ? Thanks again ! Please post comments !!!!!!
November 4, 2009 5:37:17 AM

jay2tall said:
I hope you mean a 5870 as well.. Trust me get it. I got it, and you should to. They run nice and cool and idle very at very low power use.


Would appreciate further comments. Regards.
November 4, 2009 5:37:56 AM

Maziar said:
Hello and welcome to the forums :) 
4870X2 performs like a 5870(it beats it in some games and loses in some others) so it performs better than HD 5770


Would appreciate further comments. Regards.
November 4, 2009 5:51:27 AM

5870 FTW. There is really no reason to buy Nvidia cards right now when you can get their ATI equivalent which performs the same or better but is $100 less.

5850 costs $299 and performs better than the GTX 285 which costs $70-$100 more
5870 costs $399, performs similarly to the GTX 295 which costs $500

Performance between the 4870X2 and the 5870 is really a toss up. So I would definitely go for the 5870 since its newer tech, supports DX11, etc.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2009 5:51:42 AM

Holy fudge, please no need to thank in seperate posts, just post it all in one. You might as well get the 5870, since if you later get the money, you can crossfire it for even greater Preformance. Plus, the 5870 is probably the best single chip GPU out there right now.
Yes this review is for the 5770, however it this shows the 3Dmark score for a single 5870 vs the 4870x2, notice the scores are nearly the same. (bout a 500pt diff)
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5770-review-tes...
But if you want to save, go with the cheaper GPU there nearly the same preformance.
November 4, 2009 5:51:44 AM

TYCOON said:
Hello, wow thanks for all the replies. That was indeed a typo, I'm indeed talking about the 5870.

I must say I'm rather surprised that non of you chose the HD4870 X2 2GB, but hey that's why I ask you !!! Im only using one monitor, I mention that because it seems that the 2GB is only really usefull for multiple monitors, is that correct ?

One more thing, the price difference here between the 5850 and 5870 is about double. Is it really worth paying double? Also, ATI 5850/5870 or nVidia GTX 285/295, whats the ultimate pick ? Thanks again ! Please post comments !!!!!!


Actually 4870x2 2GB is more like 2x 4870 1GB, its 1GB memory used by each chip not accessible to other (each chip need its own data) so its behave like 1GB card.

Also vote for 5870, have both of them and 5870 is slightly faster and yet more silent and cooler even under load and i like how it handle multimonitor support. (4870x2 was driving me crazy when not be able use 2 monitors as it have CF active)
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 4, 2009 8:40:23 AM

TYCOON said:
Hello, wow thanks for all the replies. That was indeed a typo, I'm indeed talking about the 5870.

I must say I'm rather surprised that non of you chose the HD4870 X2 2GB, but hey that's why I ask you !!! Im only using one monitor, I mention that because it seems that the 2GB is only really usefull for multiple monitors, is that correct ?

One more thing, the price difference here between the 5850 and 5870 is about double. Is it really worth paying double? Also, ATI 5850/5870 or nVidia GTX 285/295, whats the ultimate pick ? Thanks again ! Please post comments !!!!!!

Well Performance-wise as i said,4870X2 and 5870 are actually the same,in some games X2 wins and in some games 5870 wins but the difference isn't much,5870 packs new features like DX11 and eyefinity ,and its better to go for 5870 if you are going to use multiple monitors too,overall go for 5870
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2009 12:54:06 PM

Given how old your video card seems to be, could you provide other system specs? The reason is a 5870 might be overkill and a single 5850 or 5770 might be more than enough.
November 5, 2009 8:30:24 AM

Good afternoon again, ok so in the end the budget was a bit of a problem and I had to settle for the HD5850. The Problem was I had to upgrade my power supply and seeing that I also upgraded to Windows 7, I also had to upgrade my HDD. In the end the HD5870 wasn't available anywhere anyway.

Thank you to everyone who posted comments, without your overwelming vote for the 5850/5870, I would probably have bought the 4870 X2. Regards.
a c 169 U Graphics card
November 5, 2009 8:53:30 AM

No problem,HD 5850 is a solid card too and its a bit slower than 5870,its got a great price/performance ratio :)  hope you will enjoy it
!