Is Intel Doomed? (Plus random stuff): Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Well if Intel keeps delaying those 32nm quads, then... no they will be fine, but I'll be pissed.

Not that I plan on buying any, but they sure are exciting.

We shall see, Bulldozer will be a new architect and AMD will have the only reasonably priced 6-core CPU for a good long while it looks like. There might be some space for AMD to b*tch slap Intel, which would be great for competition, but it is too early to know.

OK, just what does that hammer do?? You've got my curiosity going now, plus I'm far too lazy to look up the 'badges of the day' stuff here on THG :D.

Agreed - I'd like to see AMD push Intel into releasing a 32nm quadcore at $199. Or drop the price on that hexcore to $399 :kaola:

I've been sitting on my thumbs for 8 months now, and am finally ready to build a new rig. Well, maybe after this weekend if I can whack a few bosses in Dragon Age - gotta keep my priorities straight :whistle: .

Kewlx25

Distinguished

sexacore

"dual" and "quad" are latin, "hex" is greek. CPU manufacturers just use "hex" as not to offend stupid people.

AMW1011

Distinguished
While your right Kewlx25, and yes it does sound better than hex, it is standard to call something that is made of 6 a hex, not sex.

If you look at the English language logically you will never understand it...

Upendra09

Distinguished
In some countries you can say Windows 7 is quickly taking most of the market share whereas in other places like mine, India, XP will be around for a long time. Here the HD5xxx series cards are way too expensive and are absolutely not value for money, so why bother about a DX11 card and why bother about a DX11 OS???
Most people have to dish out their 5 month pay in full to get an i7 rig.
People only wait for the pirated version of the Windows to hit the market! That's all!
That's why people here are happily buying AMD or LGA775 rigs now and are happy with it.

what is it like 50 lakhs for an i7 rig and 5 lakhs for a graphics card?

How do you get a hammer?

Yes, it was a joke.

It was a parody thread of "Is AMD doomed".

Upendra, permission to kill me is denied if you were asking.

*must stay away from swiss army knife*

yes they copied my thread which was the original month long thread that the stoned cat closed for some reason

G

Do you enjoy DA: Origins? I bought it but it's a bit...meh. Gimme BG II anyday over this...too much long drawn *yawn* parts even for an RPG.

Admittedly I only got my party to ~ lvl 7 or so before the boredom got to me.

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

People will still compare what you are calling a reasonably priced 6-core with the "OMG-sell-your-firstborn" 6-core and lament that it is awful that the reasonably priced one can't compete, doesn't have a chance, and would never be purchased by anybody that has any intelligence.

G

Yep. We'll see the usual suspects here proclaiming how gulftown invalidates Thuban, even though none of them will ever own one.

notty22

Distinguished
John Q Public does not know or care about a 32nm version of this I7 they "may" have heard about. Intel just does not need to take it to the next level yet. This generation of cpu can continue to pay for itself and future R+D. They will introduce the 32nm with future clock speed when increases are needed. When the public is ready for another new model. The 930 is the new model for 2010.

G

It always amuses me when intel fanboys claim intel 'are holding back' as the excuse for laughable performance.

From where I'm seeing it, intels 32nm is a tiny step forward. That doesn't bode well in the face of the incoming 40% improvement from glofo's 32nm. :)

AMW1011

Distinguished
Do you enjoy DA: Origins? I bought it but it's a bit...meh. Gimme BG II anyday over this...too much long drawn *yawn* parts even for an RPG.

Admittedly I only got my party to ~ lvl 7 or so before the boredom got to me.

I agree to a certain extent, it was enjoyable for me but it just wasn't worth the hype. The skills sucked, the classes weren't diverse enough and there really wasn't enough to do outside of side quests.

It always amuses me when intel fanboys claim intel 'are holding back' as the excuse for laughable performance.

From where I'm seeing it, intels 32nm is a tiny step forward. That doesn't bode well in the face of the incoming 40% improvement from glofo's 32nm. :)

I think there is some truth to both arguments. I think that Intel decided to develop the 32nm quads a bit more, partly due to the ones they have not quite up to their standard. I think we all can agree that a faster CPU from Intel is a little "meh" right now, they already have the fastest and most expensive. What is exciting is the prospect of AMD coming back with high end competition which should lower prices and drive up innovation.

That said, I'm not sure we are going to see much of an improvement over current processors from either company. In the end, there are no real world tasks that really need much more horsepower, a very few exceptions noted, and synthetics can not be a truly credible source for future programs even though that is there point. I think this also weighs heavily on Intel, their market isn't experiencing much demand.

I think that if you are sitting on an Athlon II X4 620 or higher then near-future CPUs should be pretty low on your shopping list.

notty22

Distinguished

*******YAWN!!!!!!!!**********
Are you under some delusion that you think your fellow forum members believe your at all lol unbiased or qualified to comment on that ? Sorry if you need everything explained to you twice, but whether its amd or intel, the consumer is not concerned with the die size of the cpu in his computer. If a new feature, more cores or higher clock speed is associated with it yes. It means something. The overclocker enthusiast is only.0001%, who licks his lips at lower vcore/clock speed numbers associated with a smaller die. Its AMD that needs the smaller die. The Phenom II chip needs to be clocked near its physical limit to be competitive, but you knew that.
kaola.gif

G

Lol cuz you are the epitome of truth and brilliance in everything about cpu's right notty? :D

Intel are holding back their cpu's or not? This is the funniest thing about intel fanboys, they can't actually decide for themselves whether or not intel is deliberately holding back progress or really not that far ahead of AMD. :D :D

notty22

Distinguished

I've been over to Dell's web site after Christmas , I noticed they are featuring AMD in most of their inspiron under 800 dollar computers. Mainly the 620 in a lot of them, the systems seem priced a little higher than the core2duos and optional quads that were featured a couple months ago. More profit for Dell, unless of Course Intel was selling their chips at a loss (lol).

AMW1011

Distinguished
If anyone tries to say that Intel is "far" ahead of AMD, then they are pretty delusional. C2Q was "far" ahead of Phenom I...

As for notty, wy do AMD chips need to be clock near their limits to be competitive? Here I was under the impression that an AMD quad without an L3 cache and at the same clock speed did really well against the i5 750 and i7 920 for the price.

Guess I was wrong...

Wake me up in three years when I can even think about upgrading CPUs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS