HDMI out, will it make a differance?

Kiring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
my new 5870 has HDMI output's and my new monitor is HD with the HDMI inputs, before i go running out to buy a new HDMI cable will i see much difference in general use compared to the DVI connection?
im assuming that i will only see a difference if im watching HD content which tbh isnt that often.
thanks

KidHorn

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

In theory, you shouldn't see any difference, but in practice you might. Both cables are cheap if you buy from monoprice. It might be worth getting both and seeing for yourself.

If your monitor supports 1920x1200 or higher, you may have to use a DVI cable for it to work with those resolutions, but I'm not sure. Something you may need to research.

xbonez

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
and make that +3.

DVI is exactly the same as HDMI, minus the capability to transfer audio (and there's really no reason you should be sending audio to those tinny monitor speakers). Both cables carry digital signals and whether you use 1920x1200 or 2560x1600, or any other resolution, you're going to see no difference at all.

PS - if you still want to get an HDMI cable, get it from here
http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-meter-foot-cable-1080P/dp/B0002L5R78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1257280156&sr=8-1

HDMI 1.3b (the latest) for $2.99 with free shipping. Don't spend tons of useless money on that expensive Monster HDMI cable. As I mentioned, it carries digital signal. For home grade distances, its only a question of 'did the signal reach or not (0 or 1).' There's no question of degrading of signal quality, as you would have with analog signals,

Kiring

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
thanks for the info everyone dont think i'll bother with the HDMI lead, the sound on my monitor is crap anyway so i wont bother.
and cheers xbonez i'll remember that about the cables when i do buy one, never knew about the degrading of signal quality.