Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard advice

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2009 10:37:55 PM

Hi
I am looking for information on the best (quality) motherboards for an i7 Hackintosh setup. I have been looking around and one board that looks good is the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R. I have heard that Asus and EVGA boards are pretty good what's the scoop? I have built PC systems before so I am not a total noob, building the hackintosh shouldn't be too difficult the hacking to get OSX.6 running may be a chore though. I do a lot of graphics work and video so my present Mac G5 needs to be upgraded but I don't have the funds for an 8 core system.

things I am looking for include firewire, PCIe 2.0x16, a x8, x4 and x1 slots and 8GB or better for memory. I would love to get this done for $1500-1800USD.

Suggestions?

Thanks
RCFisher

More about : motherboard advice

a c 153 V Motherboard
October 25, 2009 5:13:59 AM

You are going to encounter increasing difficulties in hacking the Mac. I'd be surprised if you can get full support for all of your hardware.

I HIGHLY recommend you get an iMac.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2009 4:48:49 PM

How do you figure? It seems like there is a growing community of people supporting OSX on hardware other than Apple. Apple may try to limit the expansion of hackintosh's but I don't think it will be successful. Take my needs, I don't consider an iMac for the simple reason that there's no expansion slots. That may be different when Apple adopts Lightpipe then you can get access to high bandwidth means for expansion. Right now if you want an inexpensive (relatively speaking) raid 5 setup you have to do it via PCIe. there's just not enough bandwidth on USB or Firewire at the moment. I need expansion slots for a raid and HD video cards which have become pretty inexpensive over the last few years.

I think that OSX on alternative platforms will be around for a few years at least.

Cheers
RCFisher
m
l
October 25, 2009 5:41:52 PM

While hackintoshing seems like a fun project, wouldn't you be better served with a Mac Pro?
m
l
October 25, 2009 8:26:09 PM

If I had the $2500 for the minimal system yes. Funds being as short as they are a hackintosh is the only solution at the moment. I figure that for about $1500-1800 I can have a good system that can hold me over until I can afford a Mac Pro. Also the experience gained can be helpful if I want an OSX Netbook.

cheers
RCFisher
m
l
October 25, 2009 8:38:05 PM

I see, are you wishing to experiment with OSX? or use it as your primary operating system? I'm just worried about your user experience, of course it can be done, but it may be quite a pain. The motherboard Jbaker linked, the Asus P6T is a very capable board and should suit your needs.
m
l
!