Upgrade a GeForce 6600

G

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 530, which has a GeForce 6600 256mb graphicas card in. I am just starting to play some games on the system, in particular Medieval Total War. Would my system benefit from a more uptodate graphics card, something like the Zotac GeForce 8800GT AMP! Edition 512MB GDDR3, or would it not add much to the overall experience compared to my current card? I don't want to spend a fortune on a card something between £50 and £85 would do it? I start looking at the different card specs and fail to make understand where and what the benefits might be? Thanks in advance

G

I forgot to say that I am running Windows 7 with 3gb RAM

G

Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 / 2.5 GHz

Intel G33 Express motherboard

300w PSU

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Unfortunately the 8800 GT draws too much power for your psu; you could upgrade it, but you would have to get it through dell, as they make "special" ones so only their psu's work with their mobos.

The most you could go with with your current psu is an HD 4670, which is ~$70. The performance isn't quite as good as the 8800 GT, but it will still be a world of difference compared to your current 6600.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102855

G

Thank you very much for your quick and very knowledgeable reply - I will check out the board that you recommend. I don't really want to upgrade the PSU, as to be honest the whole machine will get replaced towards the end of next year.

As long as there will be a noticable difference between this and the 6600 the it will be money well spent.

Thanks again