Sign in with
Your question

Am i missing something? (1800 ish system)

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2009 11:55:32 PM

Let me start by saying this is my first time ever building a PC from scratch. I'm very new to the game, so please, any and all advice will be taken appreciatively. I've tried to research as much as possible, but from the looks of my list... does anything stand out blatantly that I am missing?

Here's the list:
Case - Antec 1200 - 124.99

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz LGA 1366, 8MB L3 Cache, Quad-Core, Hyper-threading - 279.99

CPU Fan/Heatsink - Cooler Master Intel Core i7 v8 - 59.99

MoBo - EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - 284.99

Silver compound? - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - 6.99 ( Apparently i need this stuff to connect the CPU / Motherboard? I have no idea...)

RAM - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM - 204.99

Video Card - EVGA GTX 275 FTW Edition, PCI-Express 2.0 x16, SLI-Ready - 289.99 (Free game too! Call of Duty:W@W)

Hard Drives - 2x Western Digital Caviar Black, 1TB, 7200-RPM --- Planning on putting two of these in a RAID-0 format.

BluRay/DVD/CD Drive - LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA, 16x with Lightscribe - 129.99

SoundCard - HT | Omega Striker 7.1 Channels PCI Interface - 89.99

Monitor - LG W2353V-PF Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P - 125.99

I Already bought the case and the monitor... but what do you think about this other stuff? Have yet to put the order in for the other stuff.

Thanks in advance!
October 25, 2009 12:03:25 AM

I forgot to mention that I also purchased the power supply ...

It's an 850w corsair modular PSU that went for 199.99 on Newegg.
m
l
October 25, 2009 12:06:34 AM

What will the PC be used for? Budget?

You don't need such expensive RAM. A 5850 is cheaper and would outperform that GTX 275. You don't need that sound card, onboard sound is fine most people.
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2009 8:16:23 AM

With a i7 system in mind I'd say this :) 

Nice CPU, works good for clocking if that becomes actual at any time
The CPU cooler sounds nice, ahvn't tried or read on any reviews, but if you are to clock over hardly, you might consider about another even more powerful?
I would personally go for a Gigabye X58, also very recommended and way much cheaper.
Thermal Grease is used to lead the heat between the CPU and the CPU cooler without leaking anything. The CPU cooler included with the CPU package ofter contain prepared paste on the contact surface, but most separately bought coolers don't. Purchase another package to be on the safe side.
I'd pick up a cheaper pair.
There's much discussion between ATI or nVidia. A 5850 isn't that expensive, and might have a better performance. I'd rather stick to nVidia since I've never worked with ATI myself.
You might want to consider about swapping on of the disk into a cheaper one with less memory? I assume you are to install the OS on one of them, and then 1TB might be overkill :) 
You will probably not need a such expensive reader. I'd stick to two drives, one cheaper 16x for DVD and CD-R and a separate burner.
You won't need that soundcard. Save that cash imo ;) 

Hope it helped a bit :) 

Thanks
//Filip
m
l
October 25, 2009 9:03:25 AM

the mb is expensive ... so tell us what features you are paying for and why you want them ? If you cant then you should be using a different more ppropriate mb .

It would allow you to afford a 5850 and have much better gfx performance so for most people thats a no-brainer
m
l
October 25, 2009 4:06:40 PM

tju2an said:
With a i7 system in mind I'd say this :) 

Nice CPU, works good for clocking if that becomes actual at any time
The CPU cooler sounds nice, ahvn't tried or read on any reviews, but if you are to clock over hardly, you might consider about another even more powerful?
I would personally go for a Gigabye X58, also very recommended and way much cheaper.
Thermal Grease is used to lead the heat between the CPU and the CPU cooler without leaking anything. The CPU cooler included with the CPU package ofter contain prepared paste on the contact surface, but most separately bought coolers don't. Purchase another package to be on the safe side.
I'd pick up a cheaper pair.
There's much discussion between ATI or nVidia. A 5850 isn't that expensive, and might have a better performance. I'd rather stick to nVidia since I've never worked with ATI myself.
You might want to consider about swapping on of the disk into a cheaper one with less memory? I assume you are to install the OS on one of them, and then 1TB might be overkill :) 
You will probably not need a such expensive reader. I'd stick to two drives, one cheaper 16x for DVD and CD-R and a separate burner.
You won't need that soundcard. Save that cash imo ;) 

Hope it helped a bit :) 

Thanks
//Filip

Here's a review of the HSF, it's actually pretty powerful
http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=241...
If you're referring to the UD3R, I don't like it because it only has 4 RAM slots (just bothers me with triple channel).
The Hyper+ does come with thermal paste.
The 5850 is better.
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3650&p=5
Just because the HDD is large doesn't mean it's slow, there's no reason not to put the OS on it.
And why get separate burners?
m
l
!