Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Cannot launch SSD using Intel SATA chipset

Last response: in Storage
September 10, 2011 7:36:25 PM

Hey guys,
I have the ASUS P8Z68-V Pro mobo equipped with an Intel 510 120gb SSD

In the manual it specifically states "high speed SATA 6gb/s using Intel 6 series chipset" or something to that degree.

Yet no matter where I plug in my SSD, it says "Marvell" controller on start-up.

Now I've heard you specifically do not want to use this for SSD. Is there a way to truly test if my SSD is launching off Marvell or Intel? It could be the diagonistic is for my optical drive and I'm mistaken.

I've tried both SATA6 ports on the mobo and both are seemingly through a Marvell controller, based off that 1 diagnostic (which didn't specifically state SSD vs. optical drive, but I was booting off the SSD)
a b å Intel
a c 523 G Storage
September 10, 2011 8:08:35 PM

On your motherboard the 2 Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports are named SATA6G_1 & SATA6G_2.

See page 2-2 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports.

Make sure the port your SSD is connected to is in AHCI mode when installing Windows.
m
l
September 10, 2011 8:50:32 PM

Dereck47 said:
On your motherboard the 2 Intel SATA 6Gb/s ports are named SATA6G_1 & SATA6G_2.

See page 2-2 of your motherboard manual for the location of the ports.

Make sure the port your SSD is connected to is in AHCI mode when installing Windows.
Hi,

I am connected to one of those two ports. However I am not sure if it is in AHCI mode. How do I check/change this? Also, if I find it's in the wrong mode, do I need to re-install my OS?!?!
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 523 G Storage
September 10, 2011 9:09:33 PM

If you did not specifically change the SATA mode to AHCI before you installed Windows you are probably in IDE mode.

You can’t change from IDE to AHCI after installing Windows without a Windows Registry fix.

Go to this link for instructions on editing Windows Registry: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

After you perform the fix reboot into BIOS and change your SATA mode to AHCI.
Page 3-18 of your motherboard manual will show you how to do this.
Save your BIOS settings and boot into Windows.

Last, download and install the latest Intel AHCI drivers (Intel RST 10.6.0.1022)
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...

September 14, 2011 4:09:26 AM

Best answer selected by MarkC9.
m
l
!