Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC to TV connection problem, no signal.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2009 6:11:39 PM

So here's the problem. I wanted to connect my PC to my TV. Should be the simplest thing in the world, right? Wrong. And before you say anything, I've done everything I can think of, from the most basic approach like checking the cables are connected properly, to advanced settings and software, nothing works. Every guide I've found just tells you how to make the system a dual screen system and what settings might need som configuring. But my problem is much more basic than that, because my tv and pc can't even see there's a connection. If I go to the controlpanel, there's just my pc monitor, no second screen. It shouldn't be an issue, it should just be plug and play. I used a DVI cabel, attached one end to my graphics card DVI port (and yes I've checked both ports to make sure they work with the pc monitor), the other end to a DVI to VGA adapter and plugged it into the back of my HDTV's PC IN VGA port. The sound is just a straight 3.5 mm mini jack to mini jack connection, located right besides the tv's VGA port. But, no dice. The computer doesn't see a second screen, and the TV doesn't see any connection at all, the PC channel is just grayed out. So what's up, help me please. My PC is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 , socket 939, with an ASUS A8N-SLI SE, BIOS version 0401, latest nForce 4 chipset drivers, with a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT. I can't figure any other stats that might have an impact on this issue I'm having.

More about : connection problem signal

November 3, 2009 6:18:09 PM

Sorry i feel for you i had a hell of a job configuring my own TV. Unfortunatly i have an ATI card and am unfamiliar with Nvidia control panels. I realise this dosent help you much. The only thing that comes to mind is if there is a force TV detection button somewhere within the control panel as there is with the ATI CCC.
I know trust me i know dont shoot me but the TV is set to the right AV channel ?

Again sorry i cant be more help :( 

Mactronix
November 3, 2009 7:19:43 PM

No dice, I've already tried that approach, but forcing tv detection doesn't do anything, and with the tv I just press the PC button to go to the right channel, no signal.

I really hope someone out there can help, I just spent a bunch of money on the cables, assuming it would work. I generally don't assume anything, because when one assumes, they make an ass of u and me, get it? But in this case it was justified, because this SHOULD have worked, just plug in and watch the pc on the tv.

HELP.
Related resources
a b x TV
November 3, 2009 9:52:54 PM

Quote:
I used a DVI cabel, attached one end to my graphics card DVI port (and yes I've checked both ports to make sure they work with the pc monitor), the other end to a DVI to VGA adapter and plugged it into the back of my HDTV's PC IN VGA port.

I've never even considered that type of connection. I've always gone graphics card to DVI --> VGA adapter --> VGA cable --> TV. It "should" work either way, but maybe there's something funky going on. Have you tried it using a VGA cable?

The other thing is I had one heck of a time getting my HTPC to HDTV connection working. I contacted my TV's support line (Olevia) and they stated that the initial resolution for the PC connection had to be 1280x720 just to get it working. Once the signal was successfully being passed, I could then change the resolution to 1366x768. Maybe your TV is similar?

-Wolf sends
November 4, 2009 1:48:46 AM

Is your TV HDCP compliant? If not, you will need to use a VGA cable for it to work.
November 4, 2009 5:46:54 AM

Aren't all modern day HDTV's HDCP compliant? Anyway, it says in the description of my tv that it has HDMI with HDCP. Not that I know if that means it would have HDCP in all the ports. As I understand it from reading all over the web on this issue, with HDTV's the typical way of connecting it with a PC would be through the VGA and 3.5 mm jack in the PC IN area. But I'm a little confused. What difference would it make if I used a VGA cord from my tv, to a VGA to DVI adapter going into my PC, or a DVI cord from my PC, going into a DVI to VGA adapter to my tv? Wouldn't it be exactly the same thing? At one point or another, we're still dealing with two different kinds of signals, with one being translated into another?

Also, something I would like to mention in general. The audio doesn't work either. If I plug it into my computer's jack port, and into the jack port in PC IN, there's no sound if I switch to my PC channel. Which makes quite possibly even less sense than the video not working. It's as if both the ports on the tv are somehow inactive or something.

And it's interesting to note, that when my brother tried a straight HDMI to HDMI connection from his laptop to my tv, it worked just fine, well except perhaps the screen just going a bit over the sides and top and bottom of the tv, but the playback from the laptop fitted just fine. And with regards to the audio, when I got a new soundsystem, the THX Z-2300 kick ass system, I decided to use it on my tv, because I play mostly on the Xbox 360 and watch movies and shows anyway. But just for fun, I wanted to hear som thumping beats too, so I just took the 3.5 mm minijack cabel and plugged it into the side minijack port on the pc, and the sound worked just fine in that case.

So there's definitely a communication problem between my PC, and at the very least, the two ports in PC IN. And none of this makes any sense whatsoever. I'm going to try and purchase a couple of DVI to HDMI and minijack to 2xPhono adapters, to see if it works this way around. If it does, then it's my computer that doesn't work properly on this issue, if it does, then there's something specifically wrong between my PC and the two ports in PC IN, or maybe just the ports themselves.

But in the mean time, anyone got any ideas? The two adapters cost about zip anyway, so I don't mind wasting the money terribly if one of you manage to come up with a solution in the mean time. And they might not work anyway if it's entirely a computer issue.

So please, carry on my wayward sons.
November 5, 2009 8:44:15 AM

Okay, so here's what's up. I just got the 2 adapters for the video and audio signal from my pc to my tv. Plugged the DVI cabel to the DVI to HDMI adapter and into the tv's HDMI port. And it worked, I've now got a pĂ­cture. But there's another problem, can't get any audio. I plugged the minijack cabel from my computer to the minijack to 2xPhono adapter, and into the left and right audio ports next to the HDMI port, but no sound is coming. So now what's up? Does the connection go both ways, or is the signal one way? I'm fearing a little here that I might have bought an audio adapter the goes from the TV to my PC instead of the other way around. Is that possible, or should it work?
November 5, 2009 8:50:13 AM

No wait, I checked the description of the adapter another time just to be sure. And it says it for plugging a minijack source like your computer to your amp, or tv in my case, same deal. It should have worked, again. I just looked at another similar adapter you see, from the same website, and instead of going in the tv, this one went the other way around, into the pc. But the description for both adapters are identical, they're both for bringing the sound from your pc to your soundsystem, they just attach in different spots.

So once more with feeling, help me please.
November 5, 2009 10:08:05 AM

Okay, latest update. I've done it, more or less the way it was intended.

I reverseengineered a solution. The video aspect works fine, the audio was what was missing. For some reason, it was not working the way I had intended, with the minijack to phono connection in the tv next to the HDMI port. So I came up with a different solution.

First some details. In order for the cables to reach from my computer to my tv, I needed a total of 10 meters of either cabels, both video and audio. In order for the minijack cabel to reach, I had to use 2, 5 meter cables, with one being a male to female going out from my computer, into a male to male cabel, going into my tv, or rather the adapter.

But because this didn't work for some reason, I did the following. I took out the last 5 meter's of cable, the male to male going from the female end of the other 5 meter's of cable from my computer, and into the tv.

Then, I took the 3 meter extension minijack cable I had from my purchase of my headset. I plugged the male end into the female end of the cable coming from my pc. Then, I took out the minijack cable going from the remote for the Logitech Z-2300 soundsystem from the headset port on the back of my tv, and plugged it into the female end of the 3 meter extension from my headset.

Voila, I now have sound. Only difference is instead of being directed through the tv and into the soundsystem, it's just connected directly to the pc instead. It's not a perfect solution, I still have to disconnect the one end of the audio cable from the pc to get sound from the speakers again when not using the tv for watching things from the pc, as well as disconnecting the other end from the remote running the soundsystem, and plug the remote back into the tv for when I'm watching regular channels.

But this is only a minor annoyance, it takes just a sec to unplug here and here, and plug here to reset things, and now I finally have everything working. So it looks like I'm all set. So for anyone else experiencing this problem with the computer and tv not even seeing each other on a connection level, try it this way around instead.

Instead of connecting from DVI to VGA on the PC IN, as an alternative, get a DVI to HDMI adapter, plug it into the HDMI port instead, and as for the audio, if you have a similar setup like myself, just plug it straight from the pc to the soundsystem.

Cheers.
January 13, 2010 5:44:27 PM

Glad you got it working. The reason you could not get audio is that DVI is for video only. HDMI cables will handle video and audio, but the DVI can't.
January 13, 2010 6:30:36 PM

I had a similar issue as you, except mine received the connection. Only problem is if I used a VGA to VGA connection then the computer space wouldn't fill the whole tv. It would maybe fill 75% of the screen and the edges would be blacked out; sort of like a frame. The resolution would be stuck at 1300x700 something, too.

With a DVI to HDMI connector wire it filled up the whole screen and gave me 1900x1080 connection.
June 10, 2010 5:02:19 PM

I had a similar problems like other people about HDMI connected to TV. So how to solve the problems
August 7, 2011 3:23:20 AM

try to reset you dpi dots per inch
September 28, 2011 5:00:23 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!