Sign in with
Your question

GPU Decision

Last response: in Overclocking
February 20, 2012 3:33:08 PM

I wonder if I should continue with my original idea and just buy a really cheap temporary GPU, say the HD 7750/7770, and wait for Nvidia's Kepler is released to see how much the 7970/7990 will cost.

It is interesting to hear that Nvidia Kepler is said to perform 45% faster than AMD. I'd spend money on that card.

More about : gpu decision

February 21, 2012 10:09:53 PM

Buying a cheap temp GPU is pointless unless you want to waste money. I'd wait it out to see the prices of the Kepler or 7970/7990
February 21, 2012 10:39:59 PM

Akhilcool said:
Buying a cheap temp GPU is pointless unless you want to waste money. I'd wait it out to see the prices of the Kepler or 7970/7990

The high end Kepler is too long of a wait (Q4) in order to see how much HD 7970 will cost by then. I'm going to purchase XFX HD 7770 Black Edition and resale it on Ebay to whoever that would like to crossfire them. You can't always have everything. I just don't want to purchase the HD 7970 and regret it when Kepler comes out and notice the price is so much cheaper or that Kepler is really 45% faster.
Related resources
February 23, 2012 3:59:41 AM

Alyus said:
The high end Kepler is too long of a wait (Q4) in order to see how much HD 7970 will cost by then. I'm going to purchase XFX HD 7770 Black Edition and resale it on Ebay to whoever that would like to crossfire them. You can't always have everything. I just don't want to purchase the HD 7970 and regret it when Kepler comes out and notice the price is so much cheaper or that Kepler is really 45% faster.

It all really boils down on a lot of things but let me have my say, if patience is an issue then by all means buy the card immediately it's your money after all, but you have to take into consideration like, what resolution would you want to play in?Are you going for 720p or 1080p?How long are you planning to keep your said build before you upgrade?Is your build future-proof?How much power can your PSU give and will it be enough to support the GPU in checklist?What games are you going to be playing?What is your budget? And the list goes on from there...

I finally took a decision last month about going for ASUS EAH6770 at first I thought that my monitor's max resolution is at 1366x768 and i researched about how the 6770 played well at 1600+ resolutions and I wasn't planning on changing my monitor anytime soon so I bought it and was actually pretty amazed on how it fared well against today's games, but I had to adjust settings in crysis and on skyrim but still they all looked great and playable, just experiencing a few moments of getting 20-60 fps but its definitely something not worth complaining about :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 23, 2012 5:16:14 AM

You may find a kick to 3.2GHz makes a difference there as well Supermanu,
On original Q though yup, grab a 7770 for a while and ebay later to recoup a bit towards the next one
Moto
February 23, 2012 1:45:00 PM

Quote:
I just don't want to purchase the HD 7970 and regret it when Kepler comes out and notice the price is so much cheaper or that Kepler is really 45% faster.

Exactly. You actually understand my point of view!
!