$2,000 Canadian Final Build- looking for comments!

grither

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Hi gang, have used lots of research on this site to put together my final build. I am in Winnipeg, Canada which doesn’t have a lot of great hardware stores, so thinking of going with NCIX. Here is my proposed build:

Lian Li PC-A70F ATX case 229.99

I7 920 328.99

Gigabyte x58 Extreme motherboard 353.43

OCZ Platinum 6gb 240 pin ddr3 sdram 1600 pc3 12800 low voltage ram 174.09

Corsair 850HX modular power supply 229.99

WD Caviar Black 1tb 119.97

XFX 5870 429.99

Cogage True Spirit 38.99

Sony Optiarc 25.70

Windows 7 home premium 127.39

Hoping to order soon however NCIX is waiting 2 to 4 weeks to get the case back in stock so I will prob wait. Approx price of above at NCIX.com is around 2100 CDN before tax, shipping and price match. Hoping I can get everything down to around 2000 all in with some price matches.
I have a couple of concerns I would love thoughts on:

1. Is everything compatible?
2. The mobo may look like overkill but I really need a lot of sata ports. This one has 10, but haven’t seen any others with this many. Also am a first time overclocker but looks like this board has everything to make oc easy plus great cooling
3. Not sure about ram- but have seen it recommended. Anyone agree with this choice or have any other suggestions?
4. I read about adding a $10 gift card to your NCIX cart to get free shipping… is this available all the time, or just once in a while?
5. Any suggestions for price matching? I was going to use the link on the front page and also probably shopbot.ca but is there anything else I should be aware of?

Any and all feedback very welcome!

jbakerlent

Distinguished

tju2an

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
1. As I can see, yes. Try to check up on the version of your RAM sticks, and make sure that your mobo supports that version. I had this trouble myself, resulted in random restarts of the system.
2. Why is that many ports needed?
3. Awesome sticks, I would myself go for the special offer that your Mobo had to save a few cash, but I assume you've already discussed in previous threads about this question.
4. No idea, I'm not from America.
5. There's probably another cheaper Optic Reader, I'd go for a cheaper, and maybe another drive in order to burn files directly from CD Media?

//Filip

grither

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Thanks for all the feedback. To answer both questions, I need a lot of sata ports as my case has 5 5.25 bays and 10 3.5 bays.... I won't fill them ALL but between them I will easily need 10 ports. Unless I am missing something? in the old days you could hook up 2 devices to an IDE port, but I thought SATA was one-to-one? Please let me know if otherwise

I have about 5 sata hard drives currently for my movie collection- I use my pc as a media server to my home theater (in addition to being my main computer)